Velomaster, Drumagog and BFD
View previous topic :: View next topic
zumbido

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Velomaster, Drumagog and BFD Reply with quote

I have somewhat of an ongoing problem when I use Drumagog. I am hoping that Velomaster can help.

When I use Drumagog to generate MIDI, I cannot get the MIDI velocities to correspond to the audio levels. In otherwords, if I have an optimized snare audio track with Drumagog inserted, I would expect any snare hit that goes to 0 dB to generate a MIDI velocity of 127. But it does not.

Secondly, I'd like to not only raise the MIDI velocity values, say by 20, to have the loudest strike give me 127, I'd like to raise the lower values, say by 60. Drumagog is only putting out numbers in the high 100s.

This seems to be an inherent Drumagog idiosyncrasy. I can raise (again) the audio level within Drumagog but sometimes a very loud hit causes Drumagog to give me a MIDI velocity value of 1 - as if it is overloading.

I guess what I am asking for is something like a limiter. Whereas I can set the maximum velocity, perhaps at 125, and raise the lower velocities. But the lowest velocities are raised by a larger number than the medium velocities and the loudest velocities are left alone.

I can do this if I bring the Drumagog generated MIDI into Logic Audio. This a long work around since I almost exclusively compose drums parts on a PC running Cubase 5, Drumagog, DrumTools, BFD and GigaStudio.

The Logic Audio is over on a Mac.

My question: Is this a function of Velomaster?

By the way, I am a very happy DrumTools user.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zumbido,

Velomaster is MIDI FX plug-in and works only in Cakewalk/Sonar and Cubase SX via MFXWrapper.

VM can change incoming notes velocity values in many ways but I can't say how it can help in your case with Dramagog (never tried it).

Regards,
Sergey

zumbido

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey,

Just to let you know...

I came up with a work around. I happen to have 'Home Studio 2004' and VeloMaster works within this application.

What I do first is to start with Cubase. Import the audio file (i.e., kick, snare, toms). Next, insert Drumagog and set it to generate MIDI. I then record this MIDI to a track in Cubase. Now I have a MIDI track from the audio.

Now for the work around.

Open up Home Studio, import the MIDI track(s), apply VeloMaster and tweak. I can monitor what VeloMaster is doing through BFD (as I wanted). When everything is satisfactory I record the new MIDI and it's done. Now I have a new MIDI track with useable velocities.

The check is in the mail!

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » Other products All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1