Auditioning midi files in Sonar4
Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer
View previous topic :: View next topic
wirerage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Auditioning midi files in Sonar4 Reply with quote

I want to audition the drum parts in Sonar 4 without having to drop-n-drag the file into a track. Just like I can with SD & FD, so how can I do this?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wirerage,

First you have to launch DrumTools PD as DXi in Sonar (don't forget to press Connect button on opened DT DXi panel to connect DT to Sonar audio output)

To audition Parts without exporting MIDI file:

1. Simply press Play button in DrumTools PD main panel (at the right side)

2. Select DT in a MIDI track output and trigger Part by pressing appropriate key on external MIDI keyboard (C-B in any octave)

3. To audition any of 12 Parts along with Sonar song you have to insert the approptiate trigger note to Sonar MIDI track (C-B in any octave)

Regards,
Sergey

wirerage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks! I knew it was something simple.

folejusa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Auditioning Midi with Sonar Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
wirerage,

To audition Parts without exporting MIDI file:

1. Simply press Play button in DrumTools PD main panel (at the right side)

At this point you won't hear anything, not until you go back to Sonar and press play, right?

I have gotten used to the way this works; it was extremely confusing at first. The problem I still have is that I must press the trigger note at precisely the right time if I want to properly audition the parts. I have gotten around this by recording the trigger notes and by editing the resulting Midi track I can get the drums to begin at 1:00:000.

It is also a pain that I must keep the trigger note pressed down the entire time I record.

Also when I am playing back, I hear nothing unless I start before the position where the trigger note is located.

The trigger system, as a method of auditioning (I mean fitting it to the song not just hearing the pattern) is also lacking for the following reason: I want to be able to build an individual drum part one voice at a time while I am auditioning the song, like I did with Slicy Drummer. Triggering only plays the finished parts. My experience is that I can't do this because when I am in DrumTools I can't hear any playback so I switch to Sonar where I can hear the drums but I can't even see DrumTools since its window gets placed in the background on the desktop. Since I can't see it, I can't edit the parts or view the beat layout of the patterns. It would be helpful if I could at least build parts outside of Sonar, even if I could not match it to the song at the same time.

Thanks,
John

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

1. In Sonar go to Audio menu->Advanced tab, and uncheck 'Share drivers with other programs' box in Playback and Recording section.

Now you will hear DrumTools when you are not in Sonar window.

2. Trigger note can trigger DT only from its start position. That's the limitation of any VSTi using trigger notes.
Sonar doesn't 'see' note-on event if you start playback in the middle of trigger note. So better insert trigger notes in every measure of the song to have the possibility to hear the triggered part starting from any measure. Note that if your DT Parts consist of several measures you have to overlap trigger notes (make them some ticks longer than measure) to let the Part continue playing without going to its first measure when new trigger note appears.

Regards,
Sergey

zumbido

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about anything other than Cubase. But, you must to select 'Play In Background'.

That way when you switch back to DrumTools to compose, Cubase will continue to run.

This also works great even when I have Cubase sync'd to yet another system, as I normally do.

I run Pro Tools on a MAC as the master and my PC running Cubase is a slave. I can loop a section in Pro Tools (i.e., the bridge), match the same section to loop in Cubase and then go to DrumTools and compose away!

Furthermore, DrumTools is usually playing BFD that is also inserted into Cubase.

I'll only 'Drag 'n Drop' after I have the drum parts composed in Drumtools. Then I can do further tweaking in Cubase.

DrumTools is awesome!

folejusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Auditioning files in Sonar4 Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
John,

1. In Sonar go to Audio menu->Advanced tab, and uncheck 'Share drivers with other programs' box in Playback and Recording section.

Thanks, that did the job.

John

Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just downloaded the trial version of DrumTools Performance Designer 1.0. It looks like it is a terrific program but unfortunately, I cannot audition the program.

Just like the first poster on this topic, the only way I can hear anything is if I drag and drop to my MIDI track in Sonar. I have been starting DT from within Sonar by inserting it as a DXi Synth. I have tried numerous permutations of out ports, etc. But I still cannot get it to work. When I press the "play" button in DT, nothing happens. If I try to trigger it with a MIDI note from my keyboard, nothing. My current set up is:

Yamaha Motif ES8
mLan16 interface/soundcard - integration of audio and midi over a single, FireWire (IEEE 1394) cable
Sonar Producer Edition 3

If you can suggest something that might help, I will be very appreciative. I'd really like to give this program a try.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H,

DrumTools PD has no internal sounds, it produces MIDI notes only, so you have to load any synth/sampler into it as a sound source.

Run DT, click combo box in the lowest bar of Drummers column and select any available DXi/VSTi synth in the opened 'Select OutPort' window.

Then DT will trigger any General MIDI based drum synth loaded as OutPort. If your synth is not GM (drum notes are mapped any other way than C1-kick, D1 - snare, etc..) you will not hear the sound untill you remap outputting notes in Slicy/Fill-in Drummers or create Drum Map for your synth in Slicy/Fill-in Drummers Options window

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1