using Realstrat with Cubase and expression maps
View previous topic :: View next topic
wakestyle

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: using Realstrat with Cubase and expression maps Reply with quote

Hi, so I have been using Cubase as my daw for midi editing and also now using expression maps to use for articulation switching.
I am basically just trying to see if this is correct for use with these plugins..
For example setup realstrat with key switches enabled and mapped out for slide, bend, trem, etc....

When switching to articulations there needs to be a 'sustain' to return to after each articulation, but in the Real series that is with nothing pressed.. so I'm just wondering what might work best to help make sure the articulations don't get caught ( therefore not returning to sustains.) I tried using the Sustainer which seem to work but I still noticed some cases where the articulations are getting stuck.

When usig a bend or slide I found often that notes seemed to miss the attack, and sounding like a legato attack when it shouldn't.. So I checked some of the tutorials and they seemed to sound much better than mine...

Other times when using bend I noticed there was no option to slow the bend or a kind of bend trigger ? that would be handy, is that possible?

any tips or advice for Cubase and expression maps please

wakestyle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is no way to setup a keyswitch to turn all keyswitch off?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakestyle,

'When switching to articulations there needs to be a 'sustain' to return to after each articulation'
- please clarify. Our Keyswitches have toggle mode (small button in the FX box with T letter) allowing to continue the effect all the time even after releasing the keyswitch note, while pressing this key again will switch the effect off.

'When using a bend or slide I found often that notes seemed to miss the attack,'
- that's not correct - with auto bend and slide FX notes are played with full attack, though in case of Slide only the first note has full attack.

'when using bend I noticed there was no option to slow the bend '
- if you mean keyswitch Bend (auto Bending) - it has speed (time) parameter in the FX box controlled with a slider. So do have all automatic FX, such as Slide FX

Unfortunately can't help with any special tips for Cubase and the Expression map.

Regards,
Sergey

wakestyle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
wakestyle,

'When switching to articulations there needs to be a 'sustain' to return to after each articulation'
- please clarify. Our Keyswitches have toggle mode (small button in the FX box with T letter) allowing to continue the effect all the time even after releasing the keyswitch note, while pressing this key again will switch the effect off.

Hi,
Yes toggle mode is not what I mean. I am referring to what some instruments have when the base instrument has it's own dedicated keyswitch.
Anyways, I've figured out mostly everything I need now.. I bends and slides are working better and I have a handle on the expression maps.
The thing with them is to use a blank slot and that mostly works to turn off the articulations, otherwise they stay turned on, which was causing them to hang ... if that makes sense, I hope.

ps.
If anyone else is interested here is mine (requires keyswitches turned to "K").
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlWU8e7V8SIuhNsLD8-hcMR_RsN2xA?e=7Y2BLz
Would be interested to see if anyone can come up with some even better ones, like vibrato...

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakestyle,

That's Cubase behaviour on handling our keyswitches in Expression map - so we can't fix that on our side.

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1