user chords
View previous topic :: View next topic
songman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: user chords Reply with quote

I don't get it. User chord editor. Left pane empty, right pane filled with chords. Made a chord on the guitar, added it to the left pane. How do I assign a unique name and a key combination to it?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

songman,

Chord Editor allows to change fingerings of any factory chord and save it in User Bank. So you can't assign other chord name and/or key combination for custom chord.

Select a chord (by playing it from MIDI keyboard or by selecting Root and Type in chord select combo boxes). Edit it and press Add button - your chord will appear in left panel. Then click chord Bank combo box with "My Bank" name, print your custom Bank name and press Enter to save the bank. Now when you load your bank you'll get all factory chords with your custom chord you've edited. By loading 'Empty' bank you'll get all factory chord fingerings.

Right Panel shows chords of Bank presets included within Chord Editor as examples. The presets are accessible from Bank combo box.

Regards,
Sergey

Regards,
Sergey

songman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your extensive reply Sergey. I am still not 100% clear on this matter. So if I make a new chord, I still have to have its name the same as one of the pre-defined chords? How do I play this now? I use the keycombinations as given in the manual to play chords (e.g. page 40 in the realrick manual). How does the software know that I want the key combination to play the old chord or the new one? Am I right in supposing that the keycombination now only plays the new chord and the old chord can no longer be used?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

songman,

Yes, you are right. The only way you can use factory and custom chord fingerings for the same chord simultaneously, you must create user chord you want for any other chord type for the same Root.
Example - you want to use factory Cmajor chord fingering and Cmajor custom chord within the same Chord Bank - you must create Cmajor chord by editing any other chord type you will not use in a song, such as C9, C6 (or any other) to the fingering you need, and use it with its initual key combination/name.

Regards,
Sergey

songman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sergey, perfectly clear now!

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

songman,

I didn't clearly understand your previous post.

Answering:

If you create any custom chord fingerings and save them as User Bank(s) within Chords Editor, you can load your Chord Bank and it will be used in all chordal modes. To get factory default chord shapes simply go to User Chords Editor window and select 'Empty' item in Chord Bank selection combo box.

Regards,
Sergey

songman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this further clarification Sergey. At the moment I am enjoying making patterns Smile.

carosone

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile This post is enlighting to me as well, meaning perhaps that it should be clarified in the manual because I hadn't understood it from the manual!

You probably conceived the user chords feature to let one alternate different fingerings. We wanted to use it to create our unusual dissonant chords, yet we can't rename, but it can be done and it works the same way.
You wrote it well here in this post, with 2 new basic infos:
1. one has to start from a chord that he won't use (so to be able to manage duplicate names)
2. one has to select Empty from the bank list to restore the original (and to select his bank to load his fingerings)

I would also add that when my own chord bank is loaded, also song mode get the chords from that bank when these are selected from the circle-of-fifths (to put them into the chord track).

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1