Using automation to switch between performance modes..
View previous topic :: View next topic
rjd5974

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Using automation to switch between performance modes.. Reply with quote

Being a relative noob to both MIDI and DAW recording as well as RealStrat I'm going to need some help with this one.

In the RS Tyrus tutorials he shows himself drawing in automation with the pencil tool in order to switch RS between the different performance modes(solo, chords, bass and pick, etc..). It wasn't a thing he looked to be controlling with his MIDI keyboard. I couldn't see how he got to that point and he is using a different DAW than me as well. Is there a relatively easy way to do this in Reaper that someone could explain to me in layman's terms?

What I'm looking for is to be able to have RS switch between chord mode and solo mode on the fly as my arrangement plays...and is there a way to just draw in the automation without going to a MIDI keyboard?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjd5974,

Of course there is, almost all parameters can be automated using VST/AU/MIDI CC controllers.

Refer to RS Manual, p.51, Parameter Automation/Common/Performance Mode select AU/VST/MIDI CC#54_Mode

You can automate Mode change on Instrument track (AU/VST) or inserting CC#54 in a MIDI track with value between 0-12 to switch to Solo, and 38-63 to switch back to Chords.

Next two pages show the detailed value to parameter mapping for all MIDI CC

Regards,
Sergey

rjd5974

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response.

I understand the principle behind it and I read that part in the manual. I just need to figure out how exactly I insert a CC number in a MIDI track. Again, despite being a musician for 25 years I have never really approached computer recording..so it is all new to me. I understand this is more of an issue with me not fully understanding my DAW(Reaper) than it is anything to do with RS.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1