Velocity sensative (vs velocity triggered) strum rate
View previous topic :: View next topic
CarlF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Velocity sensative (vs velocity triggered) strum rate Reply with quote

I just downloaded RG and am deep into the learning curve.

When I read about velocity based strum rates (e.g. slow velocity results in a slow strum) I was very interested. Unfortunately, it seems that my expectations were a bit advanced of the implementation -- or are they?

What I expected:
The slower the velocity of the initial chord, the slower the strum (perhaps to some user specified minimum); the faster the velocity, the faster the initial strum - in a linear manner - until it hit a maximum rate. This seems to make a great deal of sense and allows for a lot of variety.

What I found:
I can only set a single velocity trigger point below which a slow strum occurs at a user specified rate, and above which a fast strum occurs. There is a 'Steps' field that looks promising, but doesn't seem to be active; it is fixed at 1.

Am I missing something? This seems like such a natural extension of the velocity-based strum triggers (slow = light strum; fast = hard strum) that I'm hoping perhaps I just don't know enough about this versatile program yet.

Thanks for any help/comments!

Carl

Landphil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, CarlF

At this time, there are only 4 parameters to twiddle with for velocity strum times. . .

Slow strum on high velocity, slow strum on low velocity, crossover point and the speed of the slow strum, which is set with the "Time" slider. . . min & max. You're right. . . it's a fixed velocity point determined on the velocity crossover point you set. . . 0 thru 127, based on the MIDI velocity range. Linear "strum" velocity recognition would be nice, but RG doesn't have it, at least in this version. Also note that slow strum will not be triggered as long as you're holding down notes from the previous chord. You have to release all notes before another slow strum can be activated.

The Steps field is for velocity switching "slide up" or "slide down" , and also "bend" and "reverse bend" in solo mode. Each step represents a semitone, or half step. There's a lot of fun to be had with velocity slides and pitch bends, especially in solo mode doing arpeggios!

The "Strum Time" slider above the fretboard adjusts the overall strum time in chord mode, regardless of the settings in the velocity switch FX pane.

You're not missing anything. A single velocity crossover point for slow strum is all that's available. Linear velocity would be cool, but if they implemented such a feature, I think some more control parameters would be needed so you could control strum time without having the volume affected as well, since it IS linear velocity. Not to mention that linear velocity in chord mode has a drastic effect on the way certain samples are triggered.

Man, I'd hate to do the math!

Phil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landphil wrote:
Hello, CarlF

At this time, there are only 4 parameters to twiddle with for velocity strum times. . .

Slow strum on high velocity, slow strum on low velocity, crossover point and the speed of the slow strum, which is set with the "Time" slider. . . min & max. You're right. . . it's a fixed velocity point determined on the velocity crossover number you set. . . 0 thru 127, based on the MIDI velocity range. Linear "strum" velocity recognition would be nice, but RG doesn't have it, at least in this version. Also note that slow strum will not be triggered as long as you're holding down notes from the previous chord. You have to release all notes before another slow strum can be activated.

The Steps field is for velocity switching "slide up" or "slide down" , and also "bend" and "reverse bend" in solo mode. Each step represents a semitone, or half step. There's a lot of fun to be had with velocity slides and pitch bends, especially in solo mode doing arpeggios!

The "Strum Time" slider above the fretboard adjusts the overall strum time in chord mode, regardless of the settings in the velocity switch FX pane.

You're not missing anything. A single velocity crossover point for slow strum is all that's available. Linear velocity would be cool, but if they implemented such a feature, I think some more control parameters would be needed so you could control strum time without having the volume affected as well, since it IS linear velocity. Not to mention that linear velocity in chord mode has a drastic effect on the way certain samples are triggered.

Man, I'd hate to do the math!

Phil

Landphil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's brilliant!

I just quoted myself as a guest! Embarassed

Time for bed!

Phil

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlF,

Landphil gave you the complete description of velocity trigger feature used in RealGuitar.

As to the possibility to incorporate the linear velocity-to-strum speed algorithm: we have it already in RG but this parameter is hidden from user at the moment.

Our previous Rhythm'n'Chords guitar plug-in has this feature - velocity function (%) to strum speed. But as practice shows this feature is not very usefull, moreover that makes it difficult to play correctly fast strumming rhythms, strum embellishments, tremolo, etc.. - you perform fast notes with lower velocity values and strum time increases. So we concealed this parameter.

Nevertheless we'll consider adding this feature in future updates.

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1