Showing RG Chords to a Player & Visual Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic
deesto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Showing RG Chords to a Player & Visual Feature Requests Reply with quote

I think you will find this quite funny... but first the first feature request.

I had posted this already on the longest thread running of this forum. But i thought it should have a thread on its own.

Let's see. Db7sus4... a chord in kbd mode (RG). It would seem logical that when this chord is played in a real guitar that you bar the chord in order for you to be able to hit this chod on a real guitar. But, Wouldn't it then be nice to see this visually as well? Like a finger going across the full fret or something - just as a visual cue/help tool for those learning the guitar instrument while using RG.

Onto the story,

I swear it must have been an hour on the chat last night with my cousin, who is a trained professional musician/guitar player. Following the thread "purely technical support question," I decided to let my cousing know which chords i was playing for the song i had just worked out. Boy i was in for a surprise.

An easy tasks it seemed at first... So here i went. I told him something like "well, how do i need to write to you this chords?" And he goes "well just as normal." Er.... yes ok, but if i wrote to you that you need to play a chord G in position (I), would this be enough?

He looked at me way funny... I thought i must have said something wrong... And he goes what do you mean by G(I)????

"yes, you know... like G on te first/second fret"
"Nah, you do not write it like this!" You just write it G. But i was asking him how the hell i needed to tell him them (i.e. the help cue) that he had to play this chord in the I fret rather than on the II, III or IV etc.

Still he looked at me way funny Sad Shocked

I thought he was kidding then. But no he was serious.

So i began to describe how RG works. Postion I, looked as though the chords were based around the 1st/2 fret. Position II, in 3rd fret. Position III, 5th fret, etc.

then a big:

AHHHHHH!!!!! came a long. He goes, well that's way too confusing!!!
He goes "normally if you write a chord G (III) it normally means that you bar the 3rd fret in order to play G. The roman numerals RG has put for the chord positions is a non-standard thing they have displayed." he then told me that if i wanted to tell a player that he is to play a chord in a particular fret, that i either tell him verbally or that i to write all the notes in the chord for him and let him figure out the position for the chord according to what the song dictates.

He reckons a piece for classical guitar "Alhambra" that even with the full notes drwan in that it is not precise enough as to what one needs to play. Figuring out these seems to be the art and skill of the musician.

How true this is or not, he will know i suppose... maybe he was tired and did not explain to me something he should have... or maybe it was too difficult to do so via an online chat.

The truth is that it seems that the roman numerals are used to indicate where one is to bar in order to play a particular chord. Again a non-standarised method but more commonly used. Something which would be nice to have displayed in the RG Chord description section (i.e. where the name of the Chord gets displayed "A", "Db7sus4" etc.) So this is the second request. Can we have this indication next to the chord name?

So we would see something like G (III), G (V), etc? (i just made those up, i doubt you may need to bar in all of the G chords.... Wink )

And change the Chord Position roman numerals for something for logical more explicative or just decimal numbers?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1