Sergey - Purely Technical Support Question, Please Help. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
deesto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to mention that if you do all this you should have both the original song and my "chorded" version playing at the same time in sync in your same sequencer. it's 00:30GMT the 9th of aug. so the webpage will be availble after this time in an hour 01:30GMT.

once you both receive the files (or just you landphil, if sergey could be understandb;y too busy) then i should probably take this page down to respect the artist (c). Just let me know when you are done with it Wink. I think that to post you the full song instead of the bits was better because then you can see how the midi/RG thing syncs exactly with the real song and so i can talk to you in bars or whatever (music sections, etc.) rather than in more vague terms.

in addition, i also forgot to mention that because the song slips out of time (natural perfomance of the players) every now and again some chords may sound a little bit off time vs. the real song. this is ok, this is just me not having enough time to polish it all and so as to respect the sync all the way through rather than quantise all the way through.

I'm sure you would have figured this one out. But if you are in 80bpm like the general midi file is, you will note that you will need to offset the mp3 song by about +2 bars compared to that of the midi track in your sequencer.

deesto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

part III. the list as promised Wink:

this list refers to the chords played by the first main chords guitar (CHORDS kbd mode, 3rd midi track)

-Gb7sus4 (bar#4 & of course bar#8 )
-bar#14, i just could not get this chord at all so i reckoned it was close to a Gb7sus4 + Gbm9
-the same as for the first chord in bar#15, either that or i couldn't find a cord in RG at all that matched exactly
-bar#18 which micht be the same problem as bars#4&8
-the second chord in bar#20
-bar#31 & 36 that Gbm7 chord Wink. although in bar 36 has a much closer resemblance to that of the song's.
-bars #43 & 44 i couldn't get a chord that matched... maybe my ears were tired here so maybe in this instance i cannot blame RG Wink
-bar # 46 & 49 i could not work out what chords are these that they play there, can you?
-bars51 onwards is of course all the same, just a chorus with a choir and inspirations going on top of these. and i did not mention the middle of the song which has also a section which resembles to that of bar 51 onwards and to that of bar 0 until bar 13.

cool, so this is it. not very many in this list, i thought there were more (the song repeats itself quiet a few times i guess)... but the ones that i cannot close match them are really frustrating cus they are soo nice guitar chords Wink.

Landphil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesto,

Got 'em. Having a listen now . . . .

Phil

deesto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, phil, fantastic!

it's so good of you to do this m8 Smile. Many thanks, I really apreciate you going through all this trouble! Wink

deesto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, me again. just found out that the list i have given you is in reference to that of the midi tracks (the first chord) starting at bar1. So the mp3 original song/file should therefore start at two beats into bar0 (or two 80bpm beats BEFORE bar1).

So basically forget about what i had just said muh earlier above because that was absolute nonsense. This was:

"""I'm sure you would have figured this one out. But if you are in 80bpm like the general midi file is, you will note that you will need to offset the mp3 song by about +2 bars compared to that of the midi track in your sequencer."""

sorry about that. so my list is therefore still correct/accurate in terms of positioning if following this new correction here Very Happy.

Landphil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy sh*t, deesto! It's a good thing you picked a song with a simple chord progression!Razz

(Sergey, can we get a better "razz" and "laughing" emoticon? The razz looks like a smile, and the laughing looks like an embarassed person who just farted in an elevator! Razz Laughing Embarassed :-p)

First, I must say that this style of music is somthing I rarely listen to. However, I am in awe over some of the guitar chords and techniques these musicians can pull off. It's a demanding style!

Flew the midi and mp3 (converted to .wav) into Cubase and set up the guitars per your instructions. Good sync job (after I chopped the hi hat intro!)
I think you've done an exellent job in matching the chords. Cool I'm sure it took a good deal of work, so I raise a beer and toast your efforts! I'm not sure that chord mode will do this song justice. Some of his chords go from full 6 string strum to a 2 string pluck, then a 4 string arpeggio followed by a 3 string slow strum. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know after working on this song Smile

Your chord changes match very well with the song, but RG in chord mode seemed to diminish the relaxed, fluid feeling of the original piece (I did have quantize disabled) Each chord is always a full 6 strings. You obviously know keyboards to some degree to figure out all those chord changes, so can I ask why you don't just work out the "extreme" chord parts in solo mode? Yes, it would be more difficult, but I think the end result would be worth it. Some of the chord inversions used in this piece can't be done in chord mode. One of the chords I picked out was an Aadd9 with an F above the E, played with a G bassline. I don't even know what to call that chord . . . G augmented somthing? Of course, you know that you can still strum in solo mode using the C2-D2 keys, which in most cases can be triggered by your left pinky finger while holding out the chord. A bit stretchy, I know.

We both realize that RG chord mode as it is now doesn't have every chord known to exist on the entire fretboard of an actual guitar. That would be massive! I wonder if anybody has calculated the # of chords and inversions possible on a guitar? I just sat my acoustic in my lap facing up and configured a chord ala Jeff Healy style that I couldn't play on the keyboard ( E B G B G E . . . too spread out! It's just an Em, but an odd inversion) There's a LOT of chord possibilities! Shocked Not all are practical to use, but they exist on an actual guitar just the same. I would guess that RG could have 1000 chord possibilities, and somewhere, someone would find a chord not included.

As best as I can guess, bar #46 hits a Amaj7 (A E G# C#). . . then a G#dim (G# B D) to a C#min9 (C# G# B C# E) I'm unable to get a plain G#dim in chord mode without a 7th being added.

Bar #49. . . I don't know what to call it . . . seems to be an F# with a D note pulloff while the bass note is A#. As for the other chords you mentioned, an exact match in chord mode isn't going to happen in my opinion. as far as the current RG version goes.

I hope I kept my notes straight! I dont want to throw you off. Since I don't know this song as well as you, I'm sorta guessing. It seems that you may have a better grasp on these chord types than I do, if your MIDI file is any example! I'm basically a rocker that likes to wander in different directions now and then, but I've never wandered into the Flaminco/Spanish/Latin style yet, although I once did a mock calypso tune!

To summarize my rambling post. . . .
I think the chord work you've done so far is great. Some of the chords and inversions in the song just don't exist in Real Guitar chord mode at this moment, but they CAN still be played in other modes. I can tell you're a bit of a perfectionist like me, and that's good. But somtimes I think the feel of the song is more important than performing an exact, note for note copy. From what I heard in your MIDI file, you're close enough that if I were in an audience listening to you perform this piece, I wouldn't notice if you had to use a different inversion of a chord instead of the exact one. I'd just be feelin' the groove!

Apologies if my bar 46-49 chord guesses are wrong. I don't feel that I've really helped you in any way, but I enjoyed listening to your guitar parts while the actual song was playing! I think you've got a good grasp on things. Give solo mode a shot while playing fast upward arpeggios for the harder strummed chords. Good exercise for the hands!

Keep up the good work, and next time, how about somthing a bit easier....like "Lark's Tongue" by King Crimson? Razz

Later on, mate!

Phil

P.S. . . I can't type worth a sh*t, so these longer posts take me a bit of time. Sorry if I repeat myself throughout the post, but it's only because it's taken so long to type to the end, I can't remember what I typed at the beginning! Embarassed Very Happy

deesto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey phil, howdy mate?

"P.S. . . I can't type worth a sh*t, so these longer posts take me a bit of time. Sorry if I repeat myself throughout the post, but it's only because it's taken so long to type to the end, I can't remember what I typed at the beginning!"

1)...and you think I'm any better at writing proper english? Very Happy Wink (*sigh* those smileys... Sad ) Very Happy

"I don't feel that I've really helped you in any way"

2)Ok, let's take it step by step. I do not know what you mean? if doing all this work, syncing, grabing a guitar, etc. is not helping me... then what will be? Wink

3)Well, regarding the skills of the musicians, there you go, "Ketama" for you Very Happy

"Good sync job (after I chopped the hi hat intro!)"

4)I'm surprised you didn't manage to chop my freaking drums as well...er... Razz Wink Anyhow, I'm glad this was all an easy process for you to do/sync. Although i wouldn't call it a good sync job Very Happy, more like a very rough and ready one Razz

"Some of his chords go from full 6 string strum to a 2 string pluck, then a 4 string arpeggio followed by a 3 string slow strum"

5)Yeah, this i could imagine but only to some degree. But, because I'm no guitar player, i could not confirm this whatsoever... what i would be curious to know however, if you reckon the fingering while this is happening (3 strings, 2 strings, chords, etc.) would at all match at times with the RG fingering that this plugin puts (chord mode)?

6)Do you reckon RG could have (or does it already have this?) a CC parameter to alter this #of strings behaviour in real-time, so that this could be programed into specific numbered buttons of a controller?

" I'm not sure that chord mode will do this song justice...but RG in chord mode seemed to diminish the relaxed, fluid feeling of the original piece "

7)Nope, of course it doesn't... yer dead right on that one Wink

"Some of the chord inversions used in this piece can't be done in chord mode"

8)To be honest I think, in essence, this is what i was exactly looking for as an answer or conlcusion to this all... thank you. Again, no guitar player here, so no way i could figure this one out by myself. Wink

"We both realize that RG chord mode as it is now doesn't have every chord known to exist on the entire fretboard of an actual guitar."

9)But do you reckon this is at all possible with a little extra programming? Or should it be something i have to forget about it and loose all hope that one day or year will get there?

"You obviously know keyboards to some degree to figure out all those chord changes, so can I ask why you don't just work out the "extreme" chord parts in solo mode?"

10)I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Do you mean to figure out the chords in solo mode and strumm them accordingly in that mode? (indeed to some degree... but not to the degree i would like it to be... i have spent many days figuring them out... so i reckon i'm not that good at it, mate Wink )

"One of the chords I picked out was an Aadd9 with an F above the E, played with a G bassline. I don't even know what to call that chord"

11)Which bar is this in? Cool Please tell me. Smile

"Of course, you know that you can still strum in solo mode using the C2-D2 keys, which in most cases can be triggered by your left pinky finger while holding out the chord. A bit stretchy, I know."

12)Actually now that you say this... i think i might have know this after I had read the manual but completely forgotten about it afterwards Very Happy. So it is a good reminder. Still, though, the problem i will hit with this is that there are chords that i will never be able to play them in realt-ime with the RG plugin... because of the stretch or the need of two full hands...? or because my keyboard skills are not sound.

"As best as I can guess, bar #46 hits a Amaj7 (A E G# C#). . . then a G#dim (G# B D) to a C#min9 (C# G# B C# E) I'm unable to get a plain G#dim in chord mode without a 7th being added."

13)I will try this a little later on and tell you how i get on. This is amazing work you've done mate! The problem you are having "I'm unable to get a plain G#dim in chord mode without a 7th being added" is again one of those things which i was hoping for you to say or encounter... it's all within the relevant topic Wink. So of course we may not be able to ask for all of this now from musiclab/RG but i reckon that with every update they could start to think about expanding the "chord database recognition system" step-by-step somehow, like this we could get there eventually in the future? Phil, do you think this would be a good idea or a way to proceed?

" I'm sorta guessing. It seems that you may have a better grasp on these chord types than I do, if your MIDI file is any example! "

14)I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? i do not know what you mean that i have better grasp, do I? more than you? nah, don't think so?

"I can tell you're a bit of a perfectionist like me, and that's good."

15) I have to agree with you on that one Wink, whether this is a good thing or not to be Very Happy

"Apologies if my bar 46-49 chord guesses are wrong. "

16) either way mate. Your guesses there have to be much better than mine.

"Give solo mode a shot while playing fast upward arpeggios for the harder strummed chords"

17) Phil, I do not know what you mean here either. Can you explain how am I to do this? How can i do fast upward arpeggios? Can you give a bar#s section example?

"Keep up the good work, and next time, how about somthing a bit easier....like "Lark's Tongue" by King Crimson?"

1Cool Well, i'll do me best to fullfill that request next time..hehehe Razz Wink

So just to summarize.
I think that doing this exercise has proven four or five great things for RG...

1b) The first is that working out those chords has not been an easy thing to do. It's been a great ear training for me and I'm sure for phil as well Wink. But as i have said earlier, i do not think that without RG even in chords mode (and even with its current limitations) i couldn't have ever worked this song out - with or without a real guitar handy. Nor, could have i worked it out using Virtual Guitarist as a matter of fact (these plugs are even far more limited as chord variations are concerned).

2b) There are chord limitations in RG while in chord mode. Doing this has proven more so. Further work needs doing i guess, but I'm sure we cannot ask for it now - or at least all in one go. These limitations seem to be at the level of:
-No variation of # strings in real-ime (unless i do not know what i'm doing, which could well be) with a few programmable CC changes/buttons so as to switch these in a controller keoyboard, etc.
-choosing which strings like, first three or last three?
-Not enough chord inversions/variations
-Not enough chords available.
-No chords with open strings yet.
Again, i repeat, this may not be any news (or to no surprise) and/or something which can be hoped for immediately (ater all we are still officially in version 1.5, an infant Very Happy) but it is certainly there.

3b) More extreme chords CAN be achieved in solo mode (while still strumming them up-down-mute), but may mean a lot more programming/sequencing. Perhaps with the introduction of the patterns mode this will be indeed far easier to do, but still not as easy as being able to choose what chords one does exactly need note for note, string for string, etc. like you can do in the solo mode.

4b) Some chords RG produces seem to be formed or derived using the algorithm used in the bass&pick & bass&chord... which may produce unrealistic or very advanced/hard tendon stretcher chords hardly impossible for a guitar player to strike with one single guitar?

5b) We need better smileys Very Happy Ok, ok, ok, don't kill me on this one, only joking Wink

SERGEY, i think that this may understandably be of no news whatsoever to you and your team, correct? But at least now you can see what i meant with the so called chord "problems/matching" i was having exactly. In the same way you can slo understand as to why i was saying that maybe for flamenco/latin style the RG still needs much further improvement Wink - although of course at this stage it is a very unfair comment to say from my part Smile. I will leave the two song files up on that website for a few more days just in case you feel you will be able to gain something new from doing any of this?

Phil, i will get back to you on those chords you have managed to work out a little later this evening (GMT).

Many thanks to all of you, and especially Phil, for taking all this time to follow this conversation through and for testing my so-called RG chord-matching problem. I truly appreciate this.

Landphil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesto,

MIDI CC#3 controls the # of strings in chord mode. I just set a slider up to send CC#3, and it works great! I need to study the MIDI implementation chart and start using it! Looks like they included a CC# for everything!

Be back after a shower and that after-work glass of wine! (or 3!)

deesto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil those chords 46-49 where spot on mate. You must have also worked very hard at obtaining these!!!! my gawd.

aha! there is a controller i missed out then... maybe i can assign it to buttons like i did with the modes. next would be the possibility to choose which strings from top or from bottom or which ones in particular without having to swtich to the patterns mode.

and yer back after yer 20hr. nap too Razz

by the way so far this is the longest thread of the forum mesethinks at 36/37 posts and counting... what's all this noise i'm making, huh? Very Happy

Landphil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! We've strung this thread out to be a record breaker in the RG forum! A distant 2nd is the electric guitar thread. Somebody was going to do it eventually, so it might as well be us! Wink

Quote:
9)But do you reckon this is at all possible with a little extra programming? Or should it be something i have to forget about it and loose all hope that one day or year will get there?

No need to forget about it or give up hope. And there's no need to put off musical ambitions because an instrument has limitations. You just find ways to work around these limitations, and that usually leads you down a path to become a better musician! All obstacles have a work around. Smile Perhaps it will be possible in future upgrades, but why wait? The time to make good music is now!

Quote:
"One of the chords I picked out was an Aadd9 with an F above the E, played with a G bassline. I don't even know what to call that chord"

11)Which bar is this in? Please tell me.

Bar 14. It's probably an aug. chord of some name...
Gbass / C# F B C# (not a true A9, I guess, since the fifth is sharp)

Quote:
10)I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Do you mean to figure out the chords in solo mode and strumm them accordingly in that mode? (indeed to some degree... but not to the degree i would like it to be... i have spent many days figuring them out... so i reckon i'm not that good at it, mate )

The fact remains. . . you DID figure them out. I've played keys for 30 years, and I can assure you that this piece would take me a few days to work out all the nuances. (Oops! I just gave my age away! Embarassed That's OK. My mind hasn't aged since I was 24!) If you found the keystrokes to trigger those chords in chord mode, you're 90 percent there in solo mode! Smile

Quote:
14)I'm not entirely sure what you mean here? i do not know what you mean that i have better grasp, do I? more than you? nah, don't think so?

I guess a better way of putting it is that you have a better understanding of this style of music than I, since I don't play or listen to this style.

Quote:
"Give solo mode a shot while playing fast upward arpeggios for the harder strummed chords"

17) Phil, I do not know what you mean here either. Can you explain how am I to do this? How can i do fast upward arpeggios? Can you give a bar#s section example?

Can't pick any specific bar, but an example . . .
A Cmaj chord: C E G. Instead of striking all notes at once, you "roll" the chord from bottom to top: First hit the C, then E, then G, doing it quickly. You're basically imitating a down strum on a guitar. Imagine your fingers as a plectrum, and the C E G notes as guitar strings. Some may refer to this as a glissando. It's been too many years since my piano lessons, and I forget some of the correct terms.

Quote:
phil those chords 46-49 where spot on mate.

Very Happy That's great that I could help! I was a bit worried that I may have screwed you up if I accidentally mislabled the chords!

Reguarding CC#3 for the number of strings in chord mode, I would suggest a rotary knob or a slider to control this. I'm not really sure if button presses would advance or decrease the numbers, but I could be wrong. Give it a try and let us know.

And reguarding the "green dots" and how difficult the chords would be to play . . . I may have spoken too soon. . . .

Now, for a first! Pictures! Wheeeee!

Example 1 of the Db7sus4

As you can see, this is how it looks in chord position I. Perhaps a seasoned guitar player could hit this chord as it looks, but my untrained fingers can't!

Example 2

Ahhhh! This is more like it! This is the same chord played in the same position on the keyboard, but this time in Kbd mode. This is a piece of cake, even for my limited guitar skills. Just a bar chord with the 4th finger on the D string and the pinky on the B string. I can barely tell any tonality change between the two. In Kbd mode, every chord I played was laid out logically for a guitar "tab" . In modes I thru IV, some chords appear a bit exaggerated on the fretboard, but they all sound wonderful just the same! I guess if you need to show a guitar player the parts you want played, Kbd mode seems best for teaching.

Glad I was able to help out a little, deesto. It was a learning experience for me as well! Cool

And to Sergey and all the other mods, thanks for letting us ramble on for three or four pages. I appreciate this forum where you allow us to discuss the in's and out's of Real Guitar. A real work of art, Gentlemen!

And Sergey, my emoticon comment was made in jest, but the "laughing" one still looks like a guy who farted in an elevator! Laughing

Let's make some music, folks!

Phil

deesto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah.... and they are far from closing in to this thread #Very Happy

Quote:
Perhaps it will be possible in future upgrades, but why wait? The time to make good music is now!

Of course! Wink

Quote:
If you found the keystrokes to trigger those chords in chord mode, you're 90 percent there in solo mode!

aha! I see what you mean now! Wink
likewise for:
Quote:
an't pick any specific bar, but an example . . .
A Cmaj chord: C E G. Instead of striking all notes at once, you "roll" the chord from bottom to top

I'll let you know i get on about the button presses indeed... first i gotta remember how i did this for controller 54 (the modes CC) Embarassed ... then i'll see how i get on with the strings. I had a go last night with a slider... yeah seems to be wicked... but in chords mode you really need 2 hands, hence the button suggestion so you don't have to aproximate where on the world i need to put the pot or fader to obatin exactly 4 strings Wink and hence it's one quick "ki" hit to the button and back to the keyboard, huh!
Laughing<- I swear this guy has not farted Wink.

Look i don't dare to ask how you got those pictures in here... but they sure are great!

Would you know I came to the same conclusion last night?! How funny. Most of these "extreme" chords can be barred...

AND/BUT this would be nice to see visually. I think RG could or should implement this visual feature as a visual cue in a future update. It's very confusing at the mo. Basically so it would know which chord needs to be barred and show it to us, to the non-guitar player that would like to learn the instrument. The other thing is the Roman numerals for chord position... this is a story i will post on a single thread. It's quite funny actually. It will describe my experiences at showing or explaining what a guitar plaplyer needed to do to play with some chords with an exact preferred position...

deesto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just a quick update...

the button presses like 1 for one string chords, 2 for 2 string chords, 3 for 3 stringed chords, etc, worked with my keyboard, pretty cool. but i still wish there would be the posibility or a method to choose which 3 strings i want the plugin to touch when i depress the button 3 in my keyboard, or which 4 out of the 6 strings is to play RG when i press button four on my keyboard etc. At the very least i would like to see an option to be able to choose which strings are to be played whether from top to bottom, or from bottom to top.

The other update is the intro of that song goes:

Gbm, D, Bm6, Db7sus4, Db, Gbm, D, Bm6/7, Gb7sus4

but this should instead be:

Gbm, D, Bm6, Db7sus4, Db, Gbm, D, Bm6/7, Db7(add#9)

and then back to Gbm etc.

so you will note the last chord's changed for a more suitable one.

I am going to take my webpage down now. I think we have fullfilled the purpose of this threat to a greater extent that what i was ever imagining it would be Wink.

Chamo!

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3