Half-Mutes
View previous topic :: View next topic
keys71

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Half-Mutes Reply with quote

Hi Forum,

i'm checking out RealStrat these days and have 1 question.
I want to use RS for my rhythm guitar tracks.

As far as i figured out i am able to use the strum keys to switch between "normal" strummings and muted strummings.

Is it possible to have more steps between full strum and full mute?
(Half-Mutes ?)

I'm lso checking Vir2's Electri6ity. Here's this is done by keyswitches and velocity. But RS seems a lot more useful to me.

Any ideas ?

Greetings, Rob

mmutee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more convincing mute sound is achieved not using the mute keys but by using Bridge Mute effect via Key Switch. This gives Palm Mutes necessary for rock riffs. You can adjust the amount of palm pressure on guitar bridge but there is no half palm mute type sound.

I was making Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me and in the start of the song (the video version) there is a riff in which just one note is played, its muted in the start and gradually it turns into unmuted and normally picked notes. I can't seem to achieve that through Realstrat or LPC.

Hope this helped.

JohnnyVirgil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm also trying to produce such half-muted chords, and have found the BridgeMute effect, but, as far I can see, it can only be used in Solo mode. Is there a way to apply a desired amount of BridgeMute to chords (other than playing the chords note by note)?

mmutee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, however there is another method of playing (a limited amount of) chords in solo mode. Its the Interval Key Switch, using that you can play chords and apply all sorts of key switch effects, but as I said it only has a limited amount of chord modes. Check it out.

pdubian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mostly a reply to mmute's post about Def Leppard, but others may find it handy.

I wanted to use MIDI CC to adjust the BridgeMute slider but Sergey confirmed that you can't. He recommended this in his Sergey Answers RealStrat FAQs post:

No, Key Switch setting can't be automated, but instead you can simply assign the same FX with different settings to several key switches and use each when needed. E.g. assign Slide Down FX on 3-4 neighbour keys and set different step# and speed for each - you get various slide types in one Key Switch preset.

It's kind of labor intensive but it does work. Set up several BridgeMute key switches with each key switch having the palm pressure slider in a different position. By selecting successive key switches during performance, each set up with more (or less, depending on which way you're going) palm pressure applied, you essentially get the same thing as you would with MIDI CC numbers.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1