Feature Request - Straight forward chords
View previous topic :: View next topic
TransPM

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Feature Request - Straight forward chords Reply with quote

It's rather frustrating to enter chords they way they are not created. I think it would be easier if Real Guitar could recognize chords as they are entered in the sequencer. If it's a Cmaj chord, its notes should be entered into the sequencer as C E G, if it's a Cmin chord, its notes should be entered as C Eb G. Otherwise it's undesirably complicated to learn a new set of rules just to know how to enter simplistic chords, and its rather unpleasant to incur MIDI notation incompatibilities.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransPM,

RealGuitar detects the chords played as you describe as well - in the basic position. What is wrong for you?

Regards,
Sergey

GuitarPlayer

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: I got the same problem Reply with quote

I got the same problem. i can only play these "1 note chords".
when i want to play a normal cmaj7, rg doesnt recognize it.
do i need to switch to full chord recognition and where do i do that ?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuitarPlayer,

The only problem can occur if you don't play notes of the chord close in time. Note, that RG recognizes several notes played as a chord within the time window assigned in Setup page (Chord Detect Time parameter). By default it is set to 25ms. You can enlarge the detect time and you can play chords easily but the delay between your entering chord and the chord sounding will increase.

Regards,
Sergey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no problems with detecting chords, but I have a request, or at least a suggestion. I've asked about it before.

It would be nice to have a way of playing chords in different inversions. This would help with walking basses and other things. Maybe just have a switch like the chord position switch that you could automate to play a different inversion if required. On my list, this is the one thing I wish RG could do. I've been able to work around it using a couple methods, but it still doesn't quite work right.

Sergey, how hard would this be to implement? In my very beginning programming mind, I have no idea. But if you could make this happen, I would be even more excited than I already am about RG.

Thanks for a great product! Cheers!

Koolkeys

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koolkeys,

What do you mean by 'playing chords in different inversion'. Couldn't you do this with KBD position switched?

Regards,
Sergey

Koolkeys

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be missing something. Is the keyboard position the controls that have Roman numerals on them? If so, then they only move the chord up the fretboard to my understanding.

What I'm trying to do is this: If I play a C chord in the left hand, from bottom to top, C E G, it plays the normal C chord, with C as the bass note. But if I play it with the E on the bottom, then G, then C, I want it to be able to play the C chord with the bass note as an E. Or even put the fifth as the bass. So the tab would show C/G, D/F#, etc.

Basically, I want to be able to make the bass note any note in the chord. Is that clear? I hope so, cause it's hard to explain for me.

I hope there is a solution, or I'm just missing something. Thanks! Cheers!

Koolkeys

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koolkeys,

Yes I got it. You want the so called 'Bass mode' when chord type is detected and bass note is taken from the chord you play (other then the Root note as in the current version).

We've thought about such mode, but postponed this idea to future versions. I think it would be difficult to quickly connect chords while playing chord changes with such a Bass mode. We'll test that in future..

Regards,
Sergey

Koolkeys

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response Sergey. I'm glad to know it's at least being considered. The ideas I had for this were this; I would be satisfied if there was just a set of buttons, like the chord position buttons, that maybe you could automate as the song went along. You could pick the "first inversion mode" and change to each inversion whenever you encountered a chord you wished to be played that way.

Or even just having a switch that turns "inversion detection" on and off. That way, those who want to use inversions, and don't mind a little bit more latency even, can have it their way. And if you don't want them, just turn it off.

Just a couple ideas. Even without this, RG is truly the best acoustic simulation available, bar none. I stand behind it and SD/FID as very important parts of my setup. Thank you again for your patience and your responses. Cheers!

Koolkeys

deesto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally, an optional automatable switch may be able to sort out the problem of the chord change recognition engine you are describing sergey?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1