How to use Real Guitar, when not in real time?
View previous topic :: View next topic
maiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: How to use Real Guitar, when not in real time? Reply with quote

Not a good subject description, but couldn't think of how to word it at the moment. Sorry.

In trying the RealGuitar 2L demo, and reading the documentation, there are a few things I do not understand.

Most of the directions I see for using RG involve how to play it live from a keyboard, in other words--playing the keyboard, and having it sound like a guitar. Sounds good.

However, what about for use other than live keyboard playing? For instance, can one input a chord sequence, and choose a playing style and tempo, and will RealGuitar create a guitar part from that (a la Band-In-A-Box), without having to use the MIDI keyboard for input?

Another example--let's say one already has a MIDI sequence, and wants to add the guitar part. Could one create a RG guitar part from that, without even entering the chords (only entering the style), with the program analyzing the pre-existing chords? (I see for instance, that RG can analyze the chords one plays on the keyboard live. So, one would think that it could analyze chords already present in a sequence, without having to enter in the chord symbols. True?)

Please explain how to do these functions. (Hint--your documentation could use improvement.)

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maiki,

1. Without MIDI keyboard you must run RealGuitar in any host sequencer supporting DXi/VST/AU plugins - then can create chord sequence in MIDI track, select guitar style (pattern) in RG Pattern Library and create audio guitar part

2. Of course chord sequence (with quantized Note Ons/Offs) can be send to RealGuitar from a MIDI track as chord information to fit the selected rhythm pattern

Regards,
Sergey

maiki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
maiki,

1. Without MIDI keyboard you must run RealGuitar in any host sequencer supporting DXi/VST/AU plugins - then can create chord sequence in MIDI track, select guitar style (pattern) in RG Pattern Library and create audio guitar part

2. Of course chord sequence (with quantized Note Ons/Offs) can be send to RealGuitar from a MIDI track as chord information to fit the selected rhythm pattern

Regards,
Sergey

Thanks for the reply, Sergey. I don't completely understand it though. Here are some follow-up questions:

1. You write:"..can create chord sequence in MIDI track". In what way? Do you mean have keyboard chords in the MIDI track, which will be converted to guitar chords? Once again though--any way to directly enter chord symbols a la "Band-in-a-Box", as I understand was possible with your older program, "Rhythm and Chords"? If not, why not include that technology in RG?

2. I don't really understand #2 above. Is that basically saying the same thing as #1, or something different?

Thank you.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maiki,

- Yes, you must enter simple 2-3-4 voice chords in a MIDI track (refer to Chord Map in RG Manual to see 26 available chord types) which will be automatically translated by RealGuitar to 6-voice guitar chords

- Unfortunately RG doesn't have chord symbol chart similar Band-In-A-Box or our Rhythm'n'Chords (MIDI FX plugin technology allowed us to implement chord chart in older versions of Cakewalk/Sonar)

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1