Using Patterns in RG2L in Logic Pro 8 on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic
Steve K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Using Patterns in RG2L in Logic Pro 8 on a Mac Reply with quote

I haven't had RG2L long yet, only starting on it. I am entirely confused by the use of patterns in my sequencer, Logic pro 8 on a Mac Pro.

The manual is not very clear to me, but a combination of the manual and what I've read elsewhere seems to say to play patterns in Logic 8 I need TWO midi tracks - one with the pattern drag and dropped into it (and repeated as appropriate); and a second midi track containing the chords (I'm using this in chord mode). So that is what I set up, two midi tracks (they are called software instrument tracks in Logic), both with output set to Real Guitar, before the i/o out to the mixer. The manual says the patterns manager window must be bypassed and the pattern button on the main RG window switched off. Done all that. Result = nothing! The chords sound, but the pattern is completely ignored.

I can get the pattern to play the chords ONLY IF pattern manager window bypass button is NOT activated, and the pattern button on the main RG window is switched ON. Clearly in this case the extra track with the copied pattern is redundant and unnecessary!

I will want to use more than one pattern in many cases with my music. This occurs to me: if I have two midi tracks for each rhythm part in my songs (one for the chords or whatever; one for the copied pattern), and I need several of these pairs, how can each "chords" track know which "pattern" track applies to it??? I may have 4 chord midi tracks and 4 pattern tracks - how does chord track number 1 know which of the four pattern tracks to work with??? This doesn't make sense to me and it is likely I've misunderstood (this is where simple, plain English manuals help, but they rarely exist it seems - pity...).

If I need two midi tracks (chords and patterns), which track do I select the pattern in - both tracks having instances of RG2L as their output (before the last output to the mixer)?

All of these questions apply to RealStrat as well - the manuals instructions are the same in both applications.

What I need here PLEASE are simple (very simple please), step-by-step instructions relevant to Logic Pro 8 on a Mac, in plain English PLEASE and not assuming I already know about all this stuff ('cause I don't!).

Can anyone tell me how this works please?

Thanks.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

The point is that you must output both MIDI tracks to the SAME RealGuitar instance (software instrument), i.e. both pattern and chord should play to the same RealGuitar.

In Logic create RealGuitar software instrument and put chords on its MIDI track.
Then create 'New track with Same Channel Strip/Instrument' - that will add MIDI track outputted to the same RealGuitar as Track Object. Drag pattern from Pattern Manager to this MIDI track
Now when you press Play both MIDI tracks will play notes (chords and pattern) to the same RealGuitar. Don't forget to bypass Pattern Manager (press Bypass botton on PM window) or else pattern loaded to Pattern Manager will play simultaneously with pattern from MIDI track

We included a number of MIDI files showing how that all works in RG installation directory/RG Pattern demos folder. There you find a text file with the needed instructions
Create new project in Logic, create RealGuitar instrument, drag the MIDI file from RG Pattern Demos folder directly to Logic track view (you'll get two MIDI tracks with chords and patterns), re-assign both MIDI tracks to RealGuitar (right-click on track->Reassign Track Object->Mixer->Sofware Instrument->RealGuitar Instrument)

Hope that helps

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1