RealStrat, Amplitube and Cubase SX3
View previous topic :: View next topic
mikemec

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: RealStrat, Amplitube and Cubase SX3 Reply with quote

just bought Real Strat 1.0 yesterday.

I'm using Cubase SX3 on Windows XP

I'm already stuck

I tried test driving Real Strat with Cubase, I started with a blank Cubase project, added a midi track, assigned RealStrat as the VST instrument, played some notes. On playback, I can hear the dry output of RealStrat.

But I want to play the track through Amplitube DUO. But Amplitube DUO isn't a MIDI VST insert, it's only an insert for an audio track.

I know I'm missing something fundamental here, how does one play RealStrat through Amplitube in Cubase SX3

willy4360

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RealStrat, Amplitube and Cubase SX3 Reply with quote

mikemec wrote:
just bought Real Strat 1.0 yesterday.

I'm using Cubase SX3 on Windows XP

I'm already stuck

I tried test driving Real Strat with Cubase, I started with a blank Cubase project, added a midi track, assigned RealStrat as the VST instrument, played some notes. On playback, I can hear the dry output of RealStrat.

But I want to play the track through Amplitube DUO. But Amplitube DUO isn't a MIDI VST insert, it's only an insert for an audio track.

I know I'm missing something fundamental here, how does one play RealStrat through Amplitube in Cubase SX3

That's exactly how you use Amplitube with RS in Cubase, as an audio insert.

In the cubase mixer select the RS audio track, click the "e" icon to edit the channel and insert Amplitube in one of the slots in the left column.

Cheers!
Willy.

mikemec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RealStrat, Amplitube and Cubase SX3 Reply with quote

Thanks,

I wasn't sure you could apply a "audio" plug-in on "midi" track. I tried what you recommended and it worked great.

Mike

playz123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not applying it to a MIDI track (at least you shouldn't be), you're applying it to an audio track. Unless specified, the output of a VSTi is audio not MIDI. MIDI goes INTO a VSTi to trigger the sound to the audio output. Have another go at the Cubase Getting Started guide to clear up your confusion. The manual also covers which tracks in the mixer are MIDI and which are audio. Don't get confused just because you aren't seeing a .wav file associated with the VSTi output channel.

mikemec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RealStrat, Amplitube and Cubase SX3 Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something fundamental here about how to use the RealStrat plug-in.

I'm thinking of it as being another tone generator plug-in, like a soft synth (Native Instruments FM8 comes to mind as an example).

I can either play midi data on the keyboard or enter it manually. This would be done in Cubase on a midi track.

If I select the output of this midi track to go to the RealStrat VST plug-in, the sound for that track sounds like a guitar.

Isn't this how RealStrat is supposed to be used?

If I'm dealing with audio tracks, don't I need to actually be playing a real live guitar. I don't see how RealStrat is even used in such a scenario.

Clearly I'm missing something here, because everyone who's posted seems to be talking matter of factly about dealing in audio tracks.

Sorry if my frustration is showing through, I beginning to think maybe this program isn't for me.

playz123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re; "Isn't this how RealStrat is supposed to be used?"
---Exactly...and you're good up to that point. But what you may be missing is that the OUTPUT of Real Guitar and other VST(i)s is not MIDI, but is AUDIO, otherwise you wouldn't hear it as MIDI has no sound of its own. Therefore, when you go into the mixer, you will not only see a fader for the MIDI input to RealStrat, but further on you will see Output channels FROM RealStrat, and those are audio channels faders, not MIDI. It's into those channels one would insert a plugin like Amplitube , and those are the faders that are used when recording the output of RealStrat as audio (wav files) in Cubase. You can't take a MIDI track, export it, burn a CD and hear music; you must Export audio. MIDI triggers a sound, but it is not a sound in itself. Hope that clarifies things for you? BTW, the "Getting Started" guide and tutorials you should have received with Cubase should have helped you understand all this right at the beginning , and if you haven't gone through them, perhaps now would be a good time?? Smile Cheers........playz

mikemec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what your getting at, perfect clarification.

Thanks,

Mike

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1