Can't Decide
View previous topic :: View next topic
vanillawafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Can't Decide Reply with quote

Ok, so here is the delima. $250 is a lot of money and without a demo I'm struggling to justify a purchase. Can someone convince me to just pull the trigger Smile I like the demos, but it looks complicated. I'm a piano player so I don't think I will have trouble using it. It seems everyone shows real strat in a Rock/Blues setting. How is it with ambient or soft rock? Thanks for the help!

CosmicD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can customize the plugin to where you want it.. if you want to toggle your keyswitches (configurable on any note you desire), or you press it while playing the switch condition.. its your choise..

It helps if you have a 88keys keyboard to have a varied group of switches for one hand ... but you can select which one you think you are going to use for a song and group them together maybe (in a way you find most intuitive)..

I've just found this out with the help of the forum : you can even switch trough powerchords and solo, ... configure mute bridges unison bends , chuckas... all kinds of things in one octave if you can manage...

vanillawafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, with all the terminology I think I'm going to need a book on the strat and all the ways it is played. It still seems rather confusing, but I guess maybe you just learn as you go?

CosmicD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to understand the keyswitches, you need to learn to understand how a guitarist plays and how it is called i guess..

for me it's also hard to explain because I hear how a certain keyswitch behaves and i say 'ah it's that'..

like i didn't know what violining was untill I heard it performed when I did the keyswirtch for it, then you go like 'aahh, yeah that efect"..

then you have the unisono bend (and a known song that uses this in the beginning is carwash , by rose royce, and in some very slow blues)...

you can use modulation, slides, and all the terminology i used in the above post are just ways to describe the techniques of a guitarist, and it has it's corresponding keyswitch. You just have to see and hear whenever you feel that RS has to respond a certain way in your song.

Then you have the intervals (which can basicly be chords, and but you also have many types of chords.. You have normal powerchords but also these burning types (fifths) type of chords that is used in very dark metal sometimes.. or hard rock... you can put RS in that mode, or use it in a keyswitch, and play solo when you release that particular keyswitch.

Explaining it all via text only is maybe not the best way to convince you as you would actually try to experience the responsiveness .. but they were going to bring out a demo soon I guess?

J van E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanillawafer wrote:
Man, with all the terminology I think I'm going to need a book on the strat and all the ways it is played. It still seems rather confusing, but I guess maybe you just learn as you go?

Well, I love RS a LOT, but it's not as simple as installing RS, plug in the keyboard and WOW, you are playing a very realistic guitar! So if you are a keyboardplayer who doesn't know much about guitars, you indeed have some work to do... Because you need to know what you are doing before you can do it. If you know what I mean. Wink Reading a book about playing a guitar (not about playing a strat: in this case a guitar is a guitar) might help a little, maybe, but listening to a lot of music with guitars in it is better. Then you will start to recognize things.

It might indeed happen that you play with RS and the keyswitches, and that you think 'Aha, this is that effect!', but the other way around might be harder. I mean, if you have a certain sound or effect in your mind, but you don't know how it is called or how it is achieved in real life, you may have a hard time getting things done with RS... On the other hand: it isn't necessary that you know all terms (I don't!) because after playing around for a few hours you will have discovered a lot already just by listening.

Once again, RS is awesome, but without some knowledge about guitartechniques it might be hard to get the result you want (or expect)...!

But then again... you can ask anything you want on this forum, so if you want a specific sound or effect and don't know how to achieve it, just ask it here (you might want to add an mp3 or songtitle which shows the sound you are trying to create). Wink

Anyway, apart from this all, even though most demo's are rather heavy, RS can be used just like a real electric guitar, so yes, it is suitable for ALL styles, even ambient and soft rock. If you can use a real electric guitar somewhere, you can also use RS, simple as that. Just look at as a REAL guitar, that's only played differently. Wink

vanillawafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J van E,
Very well put! Thanks for your feedback, I will take it all into consideration and will probably start by googling guitar basics Smile Thanks a bunch!

Jason Washburn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanillawafer wrote:

Youtube.com might help you too.....

vanillawafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went ahead and made the purchase, and for the 10 minutes I used it before it crashed I can tell it's going to take some time to get used to. Thanks for the help

J van E

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanillawafer wrote:
I can tell it's going to take some time to get used to.

Don't forget that this is true for everyone, even experienced guitar players. Maybe even MORE to experienced guitarplayers, because they usually suck at playing a keyboard. Wink The only advantage a guitarplayer has, is that he knows more about the techniques involved, so he can obtain more realistic results a bit quicker AFTER he learned how to use RS. But everyone has to learn how RS works because it's new!

tom27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanillawafer wrote:
it's going to take some time to get used to. Thanks for the help

Yes, it sure does. But from all I can tell, RealStrat is by far the most "uncomplicated" guitar emulation to use. I have (also) purchased Prominy LPC and while this really sounds great, it is a pain to use in realtime IMO. RealStrat is much-much better in terms of usability...

CosmicD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'm also a bit further now and I found that a little bit of pre-thinking of your song helps in configuring some keyswitches for RS.

Having in your thought which KS you want to hear in yoru song and just configure those up and down the keyboard, evne when you have an 61 keys like me, that will help in having a real time performance that's as intuitive and realistic as possible from the start.

(ofcourse you can always think of mor KS to finish it off when you are fine tuning the song)

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1