Which amp? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Which amp? Reply with quote

Like many of you I've already downloaded RealStrat and I'm playing with it. I'm not too sure about AmplitubeDuo. Of course many (most?) features are disabled until you upgrade. Has anyone upgraded yet? Is it worth it? How do you like it compared to Amplitube 1... or is there something you like better?

CosmicD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually a littlebit dissapointed that it's crippled like that. It's even less than a demo experience. And then the very extensive nag screen if you select something which isn't available.

If they would only allow a few more amps to be available to let you go underway with a decent collection of cabs, amps, and mics.. that would have been better..

(just don't have the money to upgrade now)....

Ofcourse it's not bad after all to create a poppy guitar sound, but wish more of the stomp boxes and amps were available (and if theres only 3 or 4 cabinets, that's nearly not as annoying than only 2 amps Sad...

Scamper68

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the full version and I like it. What duo doesn't give you, the rack effects, is where it derives its "full" tone from. Having them makes all the difference in the world.

If you want to demo the product in its entirety, they have a 10 day unlimited demo in which you have 10 days to try out all of its features. That would certainly give you a better feel for the program.

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could give FreeAmp2 a try. I have Guitar Rig 2, so I don't use it myself, but I gave Free Amp 2 a try some time ago and for a freebie it's pretty awesome! I think it wil be a lot more usefull than AmplitubeDuo.

http://frettedsynth.asseca.com/

Chamelion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CosmicD wrote:
I'm actually a little bit dissapointed that it's crippled like that. It's even less than a demo experience. And then the very extensive nag screen if you select something which isn't available.

Last time I checked, IK wasn't a charity organization. I think they're more than fair with the way they enable us to evaluate their product.
1. They give us ten days to put the full version of Amplitube 2 through its paces.
2. They have provided us with Duo, a restricted version that is free if we don't mind putting up with some nag screens. Duo is a smart marketing strategy - it accurately places the product in the hands of the people who are the most likely to need what it has to offer. It is intended to be an evaluation device - not something donated through the milk of human kindness. But they do offer an attractive upgrade price.
3. They offer a FREE product called Amplitube Uno, which contains enough decent presets to get some pretty happening sounds out of RealStrat - without nag screens. FREE is hard to beat, even if it is a scaled-down version.

I own Guitar Rig, but so far I prefer what I'm hearing from Amplitube.

Geoff

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the 10 day demo, but crippleware is crippleware, and it sounds like they've blended it with adware to boot. I tried that Uno, and wasn't impressed with it either. I wouldn't waste my time with anything but the fully functional demo if I was interested in IK products, which I'm not.

Anyone who finds the lack of, well, almost everything in the amp sim to be discouraging should download Freeamp2 and Voxengo Boogex, both freeware. Between the two, you should be able to get a sound you like. Freeamp has a ton of fx pedals as well, and there are alot of parameters to learn for tailoring the sound.

Edit: Keep in mind that despite the crippleware status of the included amp sim (it's not what you bought and free is free, despite what I may think of IK), it may not be entirely useless; There is a chance, depending on your taste, that it could make for a great preamp. It could be that with the right FX added after the amp, it'll suit your needs. It could be that the included amp will sound great once you've plugged in a virtual distortion or overdrive pedal after the amp and before the final reverb (if used). In other words, it may suck by itself, but could be useful when used in conjunction with other plugins, so don't delete it until you've experimented.

CosmicD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeamp2 sounds pretty good, the only major thing I still have is that I easily would like to be able to have a different amp right and left without having to load 2 x realstrat for that.. Guess routing is an option there...

Robb_b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also disappointed of Amplitube Duo....if you like to work with Powerchords it sounds bad and weak in my opinion. Amplitube 2 Duo isn´t half as good as FreeAmp2 and this one´s comes for free Wink

Maybe another option for one or the other could be Line 6 Tone Port for around 80 bucks. Also the effect section of Samplitude Music Studio 2008 leads to better sounding results than Amplitube Duo Smile

Arcana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robb_b wrote:
I was also disappointed of Amplitube Duo....if you like to work with Powerchords it sounds bad and weak in my opinion. Amplitube 2 Duo isn´t half as good as FreeAmp2 and this one´s comes for free Wink

Maybe another option for one or the other could be Line 6 Tone Port for around 80 bucks. Also the effect section of Samplitude Music Studio 2008 leads to better sounding results than Amplitube Duo Smile

You mean the Tone port GX, right?
Looks like you need this external device and therefore route RealStrat out of the PC, into the Tone port GX and then back into the sequencer.
I have no idea how to do that. Confused .... and if that's the case perhaps I should use my V-amp2 instead.

I've tried FreeAmp 2 but it doesn't quite get there in terms of that phat metal sound.

spitfire31

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReValver II!

www.alienconnections.com/products_revalverii.htm

Infinitely tweakable and sounds really good.

The standalone also works as a VST host, so you can insert RS as the first module in the virtual rack and have a standalone Strat complete with your tailormade amp and cabinet.

RVII is $149, but you get a discount if you can show ownership of any other ampsim, hard- or software.

No, I don't have any affiliations whatsoever with Alien Connections; just really appreciate their dedication to quality, fast support and continuous user dialog.

/Joey

zumbido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I do...

Find yourself a 'student' or be one yourself and get the 'Education' version of GuitarRig 2 - about $170 (software version).

I buy as many 'Education' versions of software as possible. And they are exactly the same as the regular version.

It pays to even become a part time student at a junior college for the price breaks.

CosmicD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I've really got difficulties not wanting gr2 over amplitube.. You have some really juicy chucka patches there to begin with... and theres true clean (where the clean ness can even drip off your years) configurations there as well...

kinnylandrum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chamelion wrote:
I own Guitar Rig, but so far I prefer what I'm hearing from Amplitube.

I'm in the same position and I'm with you Geoff, I prefer Amplitube so far.

zumbido

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I prefer Amplitube so far."

I'm not hearing it. I'm guessing that if the demo was more 'developed', I could give a balanced opinion.

SimulAnalog is good but extremely basic - but free.

Still using AmpFarm, too.

konradh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you use Amplitude when using RealStrat as a DXi in Sonar?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 4 Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next