Question regarding RealStrat license.
View previous topic :: View next topic
OldGeezer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

I have just read somewhere that Prominy LPC (the main contender for my money next to RealStrat) has, in its license, the following condition:

"Credit must be given for any use of Prominy Inc. samples on commercially released audio and / or audio - visual products."

While this will likely never be a problem in my case, I find it ludicrous that these guys force you to basically admit, in writing, that your guitar (or some of it) was fake if you release something commercially. It bothers me enough that, on principle, I don't think I'll even consider buying it anymore. Gibson doesn't demand musicians give credit to them on their CD sleeves if they use Gibson guitars in the recording...that Prominy demands it is kinda nuts in my opinion...especially when it means the artist has to inform the public that he/she used a midi guitar, wether he/she wants to or not.

Does the RealStrat license agreement make such demands of the customer?

Helge Kautz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

OldGeezer wrote:

"Credit must be given for any use of Prominy Inc. samples on commercially released audio and / or audio - visual products."

That's totally ridiculous. Imagine all makers of musical instruments and software demanded this. The booklet of a CD would quickly become the size of a paperback with all the credits.
I'd simply ignore such passage in any licence...

Helge

per musica ad astra -- www.voXager.de

Chamelion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

OldGeezer wrote:

I'd be prepared to bet my left bollock that there's no way Sergey would even let that thought cross his mind. It's so bloody ludicrous that I, who am never lost for words, am lost for words. Well almost. I put my mind to it, and came up with such a tirade of vituperative invective that it was quite unprintable. I solved this dilemma by running my deprecatory polemic through a Gibberish Generator, which can be found here.

The GG's response was breathtaking in its enigmatic, yet scathing, simplicity:
"In concept it their dryer serted twonk! Stupid conclusion into high. I, who am lost is spastards, paranoic notion in this arse that gold haven't know to insert manifesticles responsible about such a bloody clue and prospects. They wouldn't know customer implemental orifice it walked with ends the material orifice, to removed on their dryer serted turned on into removed instrument, paranoic notion to the petulant, parat gold have caranoic notion to responsible and twenting them on into put is their dryer serted."

For the benefit of our many friends from Deutschland, the famous German land, I took the liberty of translating this vitriolic missive into the mother tongue, courtesy of the kind folk at AltaVista:
"Im Konzept serted es ihr Trockner twonk! Dumme Zusammenfassung in Höhe. I, das morgens verlor, ist spastards, paranoic Begriff diesbezüglich, das Gold nicht, haben zu den manifesticles zu wissen, die über solch einen blutigen Anhaltspunkt und Aussichten verantwortlich sind. Sie würden nicht Kunde implemental Öffnung kennen, die sie mit Enden die materielle Öffnung ging, zu entfernt auf ihrem Trockner serted an gemacht zu entferntes Instrument, paranoic Begriff zum gereizten, haben parat Gold caranoic Begriff zu verantwortlichem und sie an in gesetzt twenting ist ihr Trockner serted."

Phew! I'm glad I got that off my chest. I feel much better now. The medication should kick in soon. Smile

tom27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

OldGeezer wrote:

Hi OldGeezer,

well, first of all, not many of the LPC users do really credit Prominy. You can read on their forum that some even say this publicly. Second, it´s not only Prominy but also other companies (and even Sample CD manufacturers) who try to insist on naming them when their products are used in commercial productions. Since I don´t like this, I have spoken to Best Service (who distribute Prominy and MusicLab) and they asured me that such terms are non binding - at least not in Germany. Their conclusion: It´s completely up to me to credit Prominy or not.

Cheers
Tom

Konstantin_MusicLab
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

OldGeezer wrote:

No, it doesn't.

Chamelion wrote:
I'd be prepared to bet my left bollock that there's no way Sergey would even let that thought cross his mind.

Please do not bet your organs next time Very Happy

Chamelion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Question regarding RealStrat license. Reply with quote

Konstantin_MusicLab wrote:
Please do not bet your organs next time Very Happy

I don't mind losing the Farfisa, but the B3 stays! Smile

G

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I look very much forward to ordering the download version in a few weeks.

I know some say they just ignore that part of the license, but I'm weird that way; If I learn about some part of a license that I don't agree with, even if it doesn't affect me, it just gnaws at the back of my mind. I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement years ago, which made me research software licenses for a few minutes and for some reason I've taken 'em seriously ever since. Yeah I'm a freak.

And Tom, yeah, I have at least one other piece of software that has that condition in the fineprint, which I didn't know about when buying since they like to seal licenses in the box (or in some cases inside the software itself) so for sure it's not just Prominy. I'm glad MusicLab doesn't use the free advertising clause, heh heh.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1