New demo/sample/whatever
View previous topic :: View next topic
J van E

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: New demo/sample/whatever Reply with quote

It's about time for another sample. This is not a complete tune, far from it, but just something I made while fooling around with RS! It just got some different sounds than my previous samples/demo's, so I though, heck, why not upload this too. Wink

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=459796&songID=5629749

The title gives hint about which guitar presets I used. Wink

I used a lot more keyswitch legato slides in this one. The biggest 'problem' it still the pitchbend-bends: there is no possibility (yet) to play a key-switch-bend after a note has been ringing for some time. Currently there is 'only' a bend at note on (you can change the rate and height of it, but not the starting time), so for some things you HAVE to use the pitchbend, which just doesn't sound as good as the KS-bends.

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you spent some time on this one...each part has a life of its own. Very nice to listen to. You're improving by leaps and bounds...no shit.

J van E

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you! I don't dare to say anymore how long I worked on this one though... Cool (Nor on my other demo I posted today, 'Guitar roll'.)

About the improving by leaps and bounds part: maybe this one is just more to your liking...? Wink And you don't know what else I have been making the last 25 years of course! Razz So who knows I am getting back to my old level...? Anyway, glad you like it. Even though I make music for my own fun...! Cool (Just teasing you a little, OG!!!)

EDIT:
BTW I have to say imho things have improved instantly after buying Guitar Rig 2 last week (this specific demo was inspired mainly by listening to some presets)! I edited the 'Walking'-demo simply by letting RS run through GR2 instead of the Guitar Combo's and the tune has improved er... leaps and bounds imho: it sounds a lot more open and clear. (Didn't edit it further, apart from one line that was too staccato).
So it's quite important what software (amp sims) you have in order to get the most out of RS!!!

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just for the heck of it, any chance you could download Freeamp 2 from Frettedsynth and run a demo through that? It's a bit of a cpu hog, but it has tons of presets that may or may not sound great with RS...for those of us who can't afford GuitarRig?

The "Rock" and "Rythrup" presets (among many others) may have potential.

J van E

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well................ okay.

http://rapidshare.com/files/47111041/Me_too_Freeamp2.mp3.html

I've used the preset Chitty for the first guitar you hear and Rock for the solo later on. I added a delay to them to get the same feel of the original demo (although it's another timing but I couldn't figure that out so quickly).

BTW I didn't feel like installing software on my computer that I won't be using at all, but I noticed it's only a dll, so... there you go. Wink
And btw... that Freeamp 2 sound pretty cool!!! Couldn't you have tipped me BEFORE I bought Guitar Rig 2?!?!?!?! Wink (Nah, I like GR2 and got it fairly cheap: only 99 euro's! GR2 is even a bigger CPU hog though...) But anyway, I think you can do very nice things with RS and Freeamp2!!!

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Not bad for a free amp eh? It sounds like the guitar rig has a bit more drive behind it, but for a cursory exploration, FreeAmp sounds pretty damned nice with RS. The presets are just the starting point. With the dizzying amount of controls you get, what with all the different amp "types", all the cabinets, and all the various tonal controls (low/mid/high/chubb/drive etc...) and FX, there is likely a way to get just about any sound you want.

I did mention it in here earlier though...I even suggested they offer fretted synth a small licensing fee to include FA2 on the cd. Maybe they could post a link to his site on this site. It could make a difference to those who want to buy but can't afford an amp sim on top of it.

I'm the first to admit most freeware is crap. But Freeamp 2 is special, and lotsa guys are playing their real guitars through it. -and he's working on Freeamp 3 as we speak!

Anyways, it did have a nice sound to it, and I enjoyed listening to that piece a second time.

Cheers

J van E

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldGeezer wrote:
I did mention it in here earlier though...I even suggested they offer fretted synth a small licensing fee to include FA2 on the cd. Maybe they could post a link to his site on this site. It could make a difference to those who want to buy but can't afford an amp sim on top of it.

Very good idea! You really need SOMETHING along with RS: RS alone doesn't cut it, of course. And indeed, I am pretty impressed with Free Amp 2... I can hardly believe it's freeware: it not only sounds good but looks professional too!

I just had a better look at it and see it comes with all the effects you need (even a delay you can sync to tap, so I didn't have to add those Sonitus delay's at all Wink ). Pretty impressive.

I think you can indeed say that everyone who can't afford any kind of payware amp sim (which might stop people from getting RS altogether!), should get Free Amp 2. For free! Heck, even if you DO own a payware amp sim, you should check it out: I could get Guitar Rig 2 quite cheap because I got the NI Guitar Combo for free with Sonar 6, but Free Amp 2 blows that payware Combo out of the virtual sky!

http://frettedsynth.asseca.com/

spitfire31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, this rapidshare thing doesn't work at all for me. I click the link and always end up at some general splash page for rapidshare.

Any other possible solution to sharing these interesting files?

Best regards,

Joey

willy4360

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J van E, that sounds really Great!!!!!

I finished the song I was doing with RS, listen to it and let me know.

http://www.musiclab.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7788#7788

Willy.

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spitfire: I'm pretty sure you can only download 1 file from rapidshare per day (I think, anyways), and if I want to download another, I have to disconnect from the net and reconnect to give myself a different IP address. If that's not what's happening, well, you have to click the "Free" button, then on the next page, enter the code in the picture and then click to get it.

J Van E: The more you play with it, the more impressed you'll be...even the overdrive pedal has more to it than you think; There's a window in the middle of it you can click and select from several, erm, circuits or engines for lack of a better word, to change how it sounds altogether (I like the "tube" overdrive pedal).

Some scoff at it, and others will swear it's as good as any commercial amp sim. To my ears, it has alot of potential, and I'm fussy as hell.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1