Beta Tester Audio Demo Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CosmicD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds intuitive enough when you know what you're doing and thats what might be missing in the user demo's and that RS sometimes give the impression of being dry and static.. Juyst know all the switches and methods and RS will come to life ?

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as I said: I don't know what half of the keyswitches should do (can't get anything out of them) but I am sure they are there for a reason! Wink

Here is another small mp3, a slow rhythm guitar played by hand, so it won't sound so robotic as the earlier pattern did. Again, nothing spectacular (far from it), but just a sample. I changed settings for strum speed, attack speend and release speed, which can make quite some difference. I have to say I don't get as much fretnoise as I would like to get... I used the Chords mode in pattern mode, but without a pattern, so I pressed the normal keys for the chords (which give no sounds at all in this mode) and used the strumkeys to er... strum. Only up and down are used.

http://rapidshare.com/files/45532312/Rhythm.mp3.html

What I do like is that you can clearly hear softer strums skip strings, which really gives the impression of the hand strumming all the way on hard strums and just skimming the strings on soft ones.

CosmicD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that happans a bit less pronounced in RG2 too, but here' it's obvious and when clean and reverbed: you'll have the impression that it's real up and down strummed .

What I wonder too is: Can you send your guitar sound across 2 channels? So that you can use different amps on each channel to get a stereo amp sound (good for those massive rock tunes)

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is another sample, this time with other instrument: it's got no beginning or anything, it's more some sort of ending of a non-existing song. I just wanted to see what could be done with it in combination with other stuff. I used Session Drummer 2 from Sonar for a straight midi pattern drum, a soundfont for bass and a total of 4 instances of RS!

http://rapidshare.com/files/45553751/Song.mp3.html

Well, I've spend about 4 hours with RS now, so I'm off to something else for a while... Wink

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CosmicD wrote:
What I wonder too is: Can you send your guitar sound across 2 channels? So that you can use different amps on each channel to get a stereo amp sound (good for those massive rock tunes)

Not that I know. In my demo-tune I ran two instances of RS through two different amps to get the wide basic 'rhythm'-guitar.

clueblast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your latest demo was kind of helpful though...

Compyfox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strumming demo sounds good, though I tried to run it through my GearBox VST Plugin and I got akward results in terms of distortion or "clean amps" - so I guess you already used amplification on it.

The second demo sounds, frankly, MIDIish. It's a nice stab at it, though the outcome is a bit dissapoiting. I like the hard picking and bending of the strings though. This is something that most sample libraries lack or sound too digital instantly. In this case I really wish I had the Korg keyboard controller (pitchbend/modulation wheel) not my Kurzweil one (two seperate dials that are setup vertically). And the sustain with the automatically fading in harmonics... *pure love...*

The thing with discussing bugs, well this is what betatesters are for, to find them. But I'm sure it'll be fixed in the final version.

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if so, my messages can be removed, I guess...?

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compyfox wrote:
The strumming demo sounds good, though I tried to run it through my GearBox VST Plugin and I got akward results in terms of distortion or "clean amps" - so I guess you already used amplification on it.

Correct, it's not a clean sound.

Quote:
The second demo sounds, frankly, MIDIish. It's a nice stab at it, though the outcome is a bit dissapoiting. I like the hard picking and bending of the strings though. This is something that most sample libraries lack or sound too digital instantly. In this case I really wish I had the Korg keyboard controller (pitchbend/modulation wheel) not my Kurzweil one (two seperate dials that are setup vertically). And the sustain with the automatically fading in harmonics... *pure love...*

I suppose you mean my 'song' demo? If so: all bends up are made with keyswitches (apart from one at the end). I think they sound better than picthbender-bends. The 'harmonics' (at the end?) is actually feedback. I just listened to the demo again (when you are working on it you loose an objective view on it) and I think it also sounds midi-ish because my playing is a bit keyboard-midi-ish. One thing to keep in mind is that in order to get the most of RS you have to know exactly how real electric guitars work...! And that's possible with them! I've played guitar but never really heavy stuff and screaming solo's, so... in the hands of someone who has, it all may sound more realistic!

Compyfox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or in the hands of someone who just knows how to handle RG2 and RS. Wink

Mind if we get some muted powerchord stuff and chord stuff but in clean from you? I wanna run this through GearBox to see how it sounds.

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compyfox wrote:
Mind if we get some muted powerchord stuff and chord stuff but in clean from you? I wanna run this through GearBox to see how it sounds.

Er, I would if I could, but when using powerchords I can't use keyswitches, so mutes are not possible. Seems a bit odd. Keyswitches seem to be only available in Solo mode. So playing chords and muting things is a no go. You can of course play a powerchord in solo mode but that sounds absolutely different (and awfull). But maybe I am missing something. Seem a bit weird if you can't mute powerchords...! On the other hand, there isn't much to be missed on the Harmony screen, so...

EDIT:
Here is that slow rhythm demo but now clean.

http://rapidshare.com/files/45596042/Rhythmclean.mp3.html

All mp3 at 128 kb so don't forget that might influence the quality!

Compyfox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that part is really only made for clean sounds or very mild distortion. I ran a coupe of presets over this demo and it produces mainly noise. He, teaches me for barely using Guitars in my songs so I know basically jack about it. XD

That powerchords can't be played muted is a bit meh if you ask me. But I can remember it was possible in Chord Mode with Keyswitches (foot pedal or something) - at least it was like that at Musikmesse 2007.

I'm curious what I can get out of it as soon as I get my hands on the beta myself - but that has to wait till monday as I'm on a timer atm.

Thanks anyway for the files

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compyfox wrote:
That powerchords can't be played muted is a bit meh if you ask me. But I can remember it was possible in Chord Mode with Keyswitches (foot pedal or something) - at least it was like that at Musikmesse 2007.

Yep, found that one. But (easy to play and good sounding) powerchords are only in harmony mode.

Compyfox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then can we expect an audio demo from you? Wink

Like...
DAAAH-DAP-DAP-DAAAAH-DAP-DAP-DAAAAAH
DAAAH-DAP-DAP-DAAAAH-dapadap-DAAAAAAH!
*fast arpeggio followed, then back to rhythm*

or something like that...

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty big deal. Playing power chords is when you want easy access to chugging mutes the most. Surely there must be a way. Maybe you can assign a keyswitch to go from harmony to solo, but that would be a pain to do live.

J Van E. You can tell you sat down and spent some time this time. Has a kind of Scorpions ballad sound to it. Getting better. If you can read music (it's really not that hard to learn), a book of guitar licks in whatever style you want from the music store can really help the mind translate the common fretboard stuff to the keyboard. If you prefer tablature over staff music, I think Sonar even has a fretboard that you can use to place notes when you're fancying it up (there's a fretboard in Sonar 4 anyways).

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 3 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next