Beta Tester Audio Demo Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CosmicD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THx for those demos. The importante thing here is to get to know the different sound and I was entirely happy when I head the strumming and the chucles you can do in between them. The solo is also nice and I guess you can do a bit more flexing when you tweak in the midi editor..

But I really believe in RealStrat now: 1x$199 coming up Razz

I think I can provide a mirror. so if RS acts up: get them here:

J van E's Strumming test (clean, chorus, distorted)
J van E's Solo
J van E's smoke over water thingy

Compyfox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to threat you J van E, but your Chord and Solo demos don't sound convincing at all to me. The only thing that sounds convincing is the powerchord demo, but you clearly hear that there's something fishy and digital going on. Maybe it's the song itself, but I dunno... something's missing there compared to a real guitar.

And I still want to listen to the demos from SyQuEsT for comparision. The links are still down. Either that, or I want to sign up for betatesting starting next week, as I have school this weekend and barely time for it. I really wanna test this thing before I shell out 199USD - the demos at Musikmesse just were more convincing. Maybe it's because the Musiclab Folks can handle it better than we do? Could be the reason why some of my listening-victims still say that my guitar stuff sounds artificial.

CosmicD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the most obvious thing that is missing to me is the fiddling and hand sliding that you usually hear quite well when someone plays an electric guitar.

Somehow I suspect you can put out that volume more like you can do fret noises with RG2 ? The repeating key (round robin, like EW calls it) seems to be a keyswitch in itself, just like the strumming in RG2 ? In that case it's maybe cool that you use this in a solo and use your sustain pedal to play legato.

Maybe you can just set stuff dynamically, or have more sensitivity to some things like, using slided or non slided benders.

about beta test sign up.. where is it mention that it's being done , and where can you do it ?

OldGeezer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the tone of that deep-purplish sounding tune makes me think of Dire Straits. Money for Nothing maybe?

The more I listen to that new Jimi video demo though, the more I think "holy ####! That's live!" Makes me wonder what's possible in the piano roll of my host. I hope he had fun doing that and is digging into some more styles. That one is a great advertisement.

Landphil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, J van E. Cool
edit...and CosmicD!
Quote:
Don't expect ANYTHING from these files: these are just short examples. BTW I'm clearly not such a good keyboard player as the one MusicLab's video's...!!!

Good enough to increase my anticipation!

Two things I'm eager to find out:

What's the CPU load (sans any external processing) ?
How does the feedbacker / sustainer work?
One thing missing in my sample libraries is the ability to sustain a single note at high gain and have it slowly go harmonic at my command.

Thanx again to all the beta folks!

fishermusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J van E wrote:
Well, don't know if this will work (and for how long) but I've uploaded a zip to Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/45433553/RSTest.zip.html

It contains three mp3's, two I mentioned earlier (Test1.mp3 is a RS midi pattern, clean and three times through an amp), Rtest.mp3 is a Smoke on the water kinda test, clean and twice through an amp, and tonight I made Solo.mp3, which is an er... solo. Wink In this one I fooled around with various keyswichtes (adding them later on). All without any other instruments, so nothing gets hidden in the mix. Don't expect ANYTHING from these files: these are just short examples. Wink BTW I'm clearly not such a good keyboard player as the one MusicLab's video's...!!!

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Best,
Ron

SyQuEsT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links updated !!

Full mix :
http://dc27.4shared.com/download/20820964/dbaa0c15/Sound_of_the_Angels.mp3

Guitar only :
http://dc27.4shared.com/download/20820942/ffcba2/Sound_of_the_Angels__guitars_only_.mp3

I know, I know ... Wink ... NOT the best demo to show you what are the possibilities but this files are made in less than one hour (install, open and play with the software, find a little idea and record it !) Razz

Like I told, my way was : how fast can I have a result. I've already spend several hours with some of my libraries ! Confused

folkeman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishermusic wrote:
J van E wrote:
Well, don't know if this will work (and for how long) but I've uploaded a zip to Rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/45433553/RSTest.zip.html

It contains three mp3's, two I mentioned earlier (Test1.mp3 is a RS midi pattern, clean and three times through an amp), Rtest.mp3 is a Smoke on the water kinda test, clean and twice through an amp, and tonight I made Solo.mp3, which is an er... solo. Wink In this one I fooled around with various keyswichtes (adding them later on). All without any other instruments, so nothing gets hidden in the mix. Don't expect ANYTHING from these files: these are just short examples. Wink BTW I'm clearly not such a good keyboard player as the one MusicLab's video's...!!!

Thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Best,
Ron

Yes, thanks. This was what I wanted to hear too. The strumming is a bit mechanical, but that is probably more due to the MIDI pattern. I think the sound itself is quite convincing. With all the built-in articulations and some MIDI editing, I am pretty sure that it is possible to get quite authentic results.

Cheers

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

J van E,

Thanks for uploading demos - they show some RealStrat features in a simple and very clear way

To use Key/Velocity/Pedal Switch FXs in Solo mode click on LED on FX box - to lighten it (dark - is disabled FX)

Landphil,

Quote:
How does the feedbacker / sustainer work?
One thing missing in my sample libraries is the ability to sustain a single note at high gain and have it slowly go harmonic at my command.

We implemented harmonic feedback FX in RealStrat - you can assign the FX on Key/Pedal Switch, or Aftertouch, select which harmonic you want to feedback (octave/octave+5th, 2 octave, etc..), play a note and then trigger slow harmonic at any time you want over the sustained note

Sustainer FX allows to sustain a note as long as you want (15-20 minutes Very Happy ) by constantly swelling the sound with assigned Key or Pitch Bender, or Aftertouch

Using Sustainer and Feedbacker simultaneously gives you some fantastic results!

Regards,
Sergey

Landphil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Sergey!

I'm getting a kick watching the "electric" version of RG come to life after all this time and speculation.
All the best to the ML team with this release. I think you've got a winner on your hands. Cool

CosmicD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wonder: I read in the specs that you need 2gb of free HD space. Thats more than RG does Smile WIll the sample library for this be that big ?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CosmicD,

RS Sample library is 1 gig, But you need twice space:
1. while installing RS (initial sound bank should be transformed to user sample rate bank)
2. If you work with higher sample rate than 44.100 the user sound bank may be twice bigger (or even more)

Regards,
Sergey

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say I am a poor keyboard player: the one on the MusicLab videos (is that you, Sergey?) is lightyears ahead of me. I'm having trouble using even ONE keyswitch while playing a solo. I even have problems playing a solo, period. Wink

About the rhythm test: that was as I said a midifile and you can bring much more life into it by playing that buy hand. I also found the velocity of the midi file a bit weird here and there.

About the riff thing: well, I liked it, but maybe I am impressed to soon. The thing is I never played real heavy rock on the guitar, so maybe my demands aren't that high. Wink

About the solo: ha, many of you said some midi-tweaking could do the trick, well, I spend 1 minute recording the solo and 2 hours tweaking the midi. Shocked Very Happy But this also had to do with the simple fact that I couldn't get the keyswitches to work. In the meantime I already found out you can turn every fx on or off (before Sergey told me Cool ). More important (if you want me to mail this kind of into from now on instead of posting it here, please let me know, Sergey!) it took me some time to find out that in Sonar all keyswitches have to be played 2 octaves higher as RS tells you. So C0 is C2 and A#0 is A#2. As soon as I found that out things started to get cooking.

I have to say my only experience with keyswitches come from GPO, but I have to also that the way RS let's you handle them is awesome! You get a screen with ALL available keyswitches: you can turn them on and off and you can SEE which key is used and when (it light's up). What's even better is that you can simply change ANY key to ANY fx because all keys' come with a pop up menu with ALL possibilities!

Now the really great things about this (don't know if MusicLab thought about it and had this in mind) that you can assign the same FX to multiple keys. The advantage is that a lot of FX comes with settings (kind of feedback, notes to slide or bend, etc. etc.) so you can easily setup for instance 4 keyswitches for slides with EACH one having a different timing and amount of notes.

One thing that puzzels me is that there are three on/off buttons on every keyswitch: I noticed turning some one turned the switch into a trigger, meaning it will do it's job until it's pressed again, which can be quite handy for some effects. But I couldn't really figure out what those light buttons are really for.

There are three things I am missing:

- I couldn't find an option to slide from one note to another, meaning you play an A, hold it for a second or two and then press a keyswitch and then D, which would cause the note to slide from A to D without an attack. Seems a commonly used thing on guitars (and you can do that in RG), but all I can find is a slide at Note On, in which the slide has to be set on the FX menu (the amount of notes and timing).

- there is no Fall at all, to my big surprise: it is very common during a solo to end a note with a slide down. Logically this would happen (in keyboard-computerland) at a Note Off: you hold a note, press a keyswitch just before letting go, and after letting go you hear the guitarist slide down. Also a VERY common thing. I couldn't find it. All I could find is a slide down that happens at Note On and which causes the note to be attacked immediately.

- there is a nice bend up or down played with a keyswitch (meaning you don't have to press a G and pitchbend up to A, but you can press an A and RS will do the bend from G (or whatever) for you) but there is no bend down after that (before or at Note Off): in my solo.mp3 I had to record pitchbends all over the place to get this done.

Hopefull Sergey can tell me how to get this done proper, because IMHO these things are used very often.

I'm sure there is a LOT more possible than that I am aware off. Like my solo ends with a feedback note which I HAD to write into the piano roll AFTER the (awesome) Unisonbend, otherwise I'd hear no feedback: this also caused the feedback to begin with an attack. But as I just read you can do that with a pedal too. Great! Only I don't have a pedal (just a simple on/off pedal). But I'm sure this can be done later on by editing midi. (Apart from that: about half of the FX don't do anything for me because I don't know how to use them... The beta has no manual, but to tell you the truth I do not really mind because now I can test effectively how intuitive RS is! Wink Still, WITH a manual I'm sure things will be a lot easier Cool )

To end this far too long post (and again, let me know if I can post this all here or not, Sergey!) I have to say it's a good thing if you are a GREAT keyboard player. It's is quite hard to record a solo and do ALL FX afterwards because in this case you don't hear the solo as it is supposed to be. I really had to model mine afterwards. The more you can while recording, the better. This is quite obvious, I presume, but in case of a realistic guitar solo it's even more important than in case of for instance a classical instrument. The guitar solo is MADE by FX: that's what make it real, and having to edit it all afterwards is hard. But that's NOT something that can be blamed on RS of course!!! I can only blame my own crappy technique for that. Wink

Now if anyone would like to hear something specific, let me know. You could upload a midi file somewhere for instance, and than I can run it through RS.

BTW Thx ComsiD for putting the MP3's online! Smile

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
Hi all!
We implemented harmonic feedback FX in RealStrat - you can assign the FX on Key/Pedal Switch, or Aftertouch, select which harmonic you want to feedback (octave/octave+5th, 2 octave, etc..), play a note and then trigger slow harmonic at any time you want over the sustained note

Sustainer FX allows to sustain a note as long as you want (15-20 minutes Very Happy ) by constantly swelling the sound with assigned Key or Pitch Bender, or Aftertouch

I can't get this done. I only have a on/off foot pedal (for hold). I see I can assign things to the pedal on the main menu of RS (Solo mode) but drwaing things in the piano roll gives varying results. I can't see an option to assign anything to aftertouch too. I think aftertouch wou;d give me the possibility to slowly add and remove feedback...?

After fooling around with RS for a few hours I've reached a point where I need a manual, I think. Wink I can't figure out at all (for instance) how to get sustain for a (for instance) Santana like solo.

J van E

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. (Sorry for posting so much... Wink ) I think I fgured out the use of the three on/off lights with every keyswitch.

Off=normal behavious (press key just before you press the note you want to use the FX on)
Frist on=keyswitch become a trigger (on until pressed again)
Second on=pressing the switch stops the previous note and the rest is normal, no matter how much time here is in between
Third on=pressing the switch lets the previous note ring on until you release the key, no matter when you play the next note

Did I get that right?

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next