How can I record MIDI for DTPD in real time?
Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer
View previous topic :: View next topic
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: How can I record MIDI for DTPD in real time? Reply with quote

Hi,

In a previous post, I had issues being able to audition DTPD. Solution: I discovered that I was not allowing DTPD to create the "first synth output (Audio)" track. I was only letting it create the MIDI track thinking that was enough. Once I allowed both tracks to be selected, I was able to hear (audition) the drums from DTPD. So on the plus side, I think I'm moving in the right direction.

On the downside, I've been trying like crazy to figure exactly how I can record the drum patterns I'm hearing with DTPD into a "real time" MIDI track in Sonar. Here's my current setup:

Equipment:

Sonar 3 Producer's Edition
Yamaha Motif ES8
mLan16e card (the integration of audio and midi over a single, FireWire (IEEE 1394) cable)

I read in another post that MIDI YOKE might be able to help out in this regard. So I downloaded it and have been trying every different way under the sun to make this work, but so far, no luck. In case you're wondering, I have selected "MIDI mLan MIDI out" as my Out Port in DTPD so it's driving the sounds I've got in my Yamaha which are far better in quality than any of the other DXi options available in my Out Port of DTPD.

I would have thought that after installing MIDI YOKE it would have shown up in the DTPD's "out port". But it doesn't show there. MIDI YOKE does however show up in all of my MIDI tracks' "inputs". But I'm not certain how I need to be configuring them or how I need to configure DTPD's two tracks.

Is there something elemental that I'm missing? I have to admit that in many regards, I'm somewhat of a "newbie". I've spent hours trying to get this to record the MIDI in "real time" with no success. If I can get this working the way I envision it to work, I see DTPD as a terrific product that I will definitely need to have. Any help and ideas that you've got will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Richard

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

You can't simply record DT part 'what you hear' to MIDI track in realtime.

There are two non-realtime ways to get the part in a MIDI track:

1. Drag'n'drop single Parts (of the current pad selected) from DT right into your sequencer, or use Export MIDI from File menu

2. If you want to export the whole drum song, i.e. several Parts triggered by MIDI notes along with the song, you must:
- previously record trigger notes in your sequencer's MIDI track
- then go to DT 'Select Out Port' window (click the lowest bar of Drummers column) select MLi/MIDI File Rec. as out port,
- DT MIDI record panel will open
- click red button to activate record mode (DT will wait until you start your host sequencer)
- start Sonar to play the trigger note sequence to DT
- DT will SILENTLY record all MIDI data it would produce with trigger notes
- then you can drag'n'drop this data from DT Record panel directly to Sonar (or alternatively click on disc icon to Save As the processed MIDI file)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Sergey

Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey,

Thank you for your quick response to my question. I had a strong hunch that it wasn't going to be possible to record MIDI in "real time". I was just hoping that there might have been a work around (like using MIDI YOKE, etc).

Regardless, I still purchased DTPD yesterday because even without that functionality, I still think the DTPD interface is the best I've seen for tweaking drum loops.

I do hope this product continues to be supported and updated. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Richard

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1