newbie question about using PD as VSTi in SX3
Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: newbie question about using PD as VSTi in SX3 Reply with quote

I just started using PD in Cubase SX3 and I found that the PD pluging effectively works as a stand alone program. When I click on PD, Cubase moves to the background and vice versa (I know that with PD on the background, I still can play PD's loops in Cubase with the keyboard).

The way I like to work, I usually first record a midi bassline in Cubase and then I create (or edit) a drum loop on the fly, while Cubase is playing that bassline in a loop. I just can't seem to do this with PD, because when I click on PD to edit a drum loop, Cubase stops playing and moves to the background. Am I out of luck? Or am I just missing something?

A related question: it seems that I can't run the loop that I'm working on by just hitting the play button in PD. I only hear the drumloop playing when I move Cubase to the foreground. But then the PD screen has moved to the background, so I can't edit the drumloop while it is playing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Richard

zumbido

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Cubase, pull down one of the 'upper' tabs - is it maybe 'Options'? You MUST select 'play in background'.

Sorry, I am not at my studio to be more specific. I do this by rote.

Also, when DTPD is in the foreground, this transport will not start Cubase. You must start the transport in Cubase or from an external source. Once Cubase is running switch to DTPD to compose your drum part.

After you have your 'part' in DTPD, be sure to either 'save' this part or drag n' drop from DTPD into a vacant MIDI track in Cubase. 'Explode' this track for later editing in Cubase.

DTPD is powerful!

willy4360

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if Drum Tools acted like a VST "plug in" not as a stand alone app that can be called from cubase sx, my opinion.
Willy.

sajjad123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, when DTPD is in the foreground, this transport will not start Cubase. You must start the transport in Cubase or from an external source. Once Cubase is running switch to DTPD to compose your drum part.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » DrumTools Performance Designer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1