Octave range split over two keybaords?
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkgibbons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Octave range split over two keybaords? Reply with quote

I have a four-octave keyboard (Edirol PCR-M50) which limits me to a somewhat narrow range of notes (when many sampled instruments use the lower octave for keyswitching -- and sometimes the upper octaves for alternate stroke/strums, etc).

If I were to purchase another midi keyboard (say a little three-octave), would it be possible to assign the 3-octave keyboard to play the lower 3 octaves, and the 4-octave keyboard to play the next four? Kind of like pushing them together on my desktop and pretending I have a 7-octave keyboard?

If so, would I need any special plugins or software? Or would this just be a matter of assigning midi-notes to to the range of keys on my two keyboards?

Thanks for any tips!

zumbido

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two keyboards.

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 8 and an M-Audio Keystation 61es.

I am NOT a keyboard player.

I use the Oxygen 8 mostly to send Control Change with the 8 knobs. I can assign these to change various parameters in RealStrat or RealGuitar (i.e., Fret Position, Capo). I also use this keyboard for some of the Key Switches or to play RG with the lower key assignments (i.e., Bass & Pick Mode).

I use the Keystation 61es as the primary playing keyboard. I'll play chords as the Pattern Manger is playing or I'll have patterns dropped into a sequencer. I'll also utilize the 'Main Zone' to create strumming patterns. I also have the sustain pedal plugged into this keyboard.

There is nothing special required. You'll either need two USB Ins or go old-school and use two MIDI cables (as I do). Although I use the MIDI cabling to get the MIDI in, I use the USBs to power the two keyboards.

rkgibbons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, the Oxygen 8 is the exact controller I'm looking to pick up. I'm excited to hear that it works in conjunction with another keyboard.

I guess I figured it would, but I just wanted to be sure.

I also have plenty of midi inputs, so that's not a concern either.

Thanks for the reply!

zumbido

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember seeing the Oxygen 8 in the pictures of RealStrat and RealGuitar being demo'd at Musikmesse.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1