Trouble with trills (especially when the pull off is first)
View previous topic :: View next topic
Coises

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Trouble with trills (especially when the pull off is first) Reply with quote

Trills (and hammer-ons and pull-offs in general) don't seem to work as expected.

This applies to all the Real___ guitars I've tried... looking directly at RealGuitar Steel String 5.1.2.7479 as an example.

Hold down A3 and repeatedly press and release B3: the indication in the window switches between "Hammer On (2 st)" and "Hammer On" -- should it not be "Hammer On (2 st)" alternating with "Pull Off (2 st)"?

Hold down B3 and repeatedly press and release A3: the indication in the window shows "Pull Off (2 st)" for the first tap of A3 and "Solo" for the remaining taps; B3 is not repeated when A3 is released.

Surely that isn't the intended behavior? In particular, a B-A-B pick, pull off, hammer on appears to be impossible; the second B never sounds.

Do others see the same behavior? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coises,

'Hold down A3 and repeatedly press and release B3: the indication in the window switches between "Hammer On (2 st)" and "Hammer On" -- should it not be "Hammer On (2 st)" alternating with "Pull Off (2 st)"?'

- you are right, should be named 'Pull Off'

'Hold down B3 and repeatedly press and release A3: the indication in the window shows "Pull Off (2 st)" for the first tap of A3 and "Solo" for the remaining taps; B3 is not repeated when A3 is released.'

- unfortunately, not implemented

Regards,
Sergey

Coises

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. It seems that even if I play as overlapping notes (without holding the upper note), I can't get a pull off followed by a hammer on; instead, I get a pull off followed by a normal string pick.

I realize there might be a good reason it works this way, but will you take this as a "feature request" that if it's possible, it would be good if overlaps, mordents and trills worked the same way whether they are played ascending or descending?

I'm not much of a guitar player, so I might not understand what is common or sensible on a guitar; still, from searching the Internet, it appears that lower (or inverted) mordents are sometimes written for and played on guitar. What I can say is that as a keyboard player, once you hold a key and tap a key one half or whole step higher and get what sounds like a characteristic guitar mordent, it's difficult not to expect the same thing when you hold and tap one half or whole step lower. I think the current behavior makes playing in Solo mode a bit error-prone, since the "lower mordent" figure comes so naturally to the fingers, but contrary to what is expected and intended, it leaves the lower note hanging.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coises,

Thanks for the suggestion, but you are the first to ask about that. Note, that inverted mordents and trills are rarely used on guitar, though often on keyboards.

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1