Machine Gunning
View previous topic :: View next topic
Vern C

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Machine Gunning Reply with quote

I've downloaded the RealEight trial and am very impressed, coming from the Orange Tree bass libraries and the Shreddage libraries (for Kontakt). The real time playability is great, I love the way the keyswitching is done and the guitar's tone, and of course low tuning, are a BIG plus for me. I was able to put together a whole guitar track in just about two days of off and on work. That's freakin' awesome compared to the workflow I have with the Shreddage libraries. I DEFINITELY want to buy this when I get paid next week.

However, there's one issue that I can't seem to avoid with RealEight: there's very noticeable machine gunning, particularly when doing fast bridge muted parts. I don't really notice it when doing sustains. I've turned the Alter setting to 5 and tried different velocities. But, the machine gunning is all too apparent. I haven't tried the play keys extensively but will when I get a chance. The machine gun effect is even noticeable on the demos on your website.

The Orange Tree Samples and Impact Soundworks libraries don't have this issue. Is there something I'm missing? Is there something else I should try?

This is somewhat of a deal breaker as I work with hard rock and metal, metalcore, djent, and such.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern C,

The best results for Alter sample option you'll get with Pick Position set on '0' (the pick image in the center position between the pickups)

You can additionally use Pick Position Humanize option in Humanize panel (set max steps and 100% strength)

All that will give you up to 15 different samples for the same pitch

Regards,
Sergey

Vern C

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need some help with this. Here's a zip file containing the .mid, a .wav example and the RealEight settings file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhd96e5mgplv4z4/r8.zip?dl=0

The pick position humanization make it a little better, but you can still hear some really blatant machine gunning.

Vern C

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Okay, so I took the above track and added drums. The result actually sounds a lot better. On a project I was working on when I made this thread, I had everything in the R8 midi hard quantized. What I've been doing for all of my guitar VSTis for years is loosely quantizing my own midi performance (that I recorded using my controller). With drums added, the result is actually pretty good....with the guitar loosely quantized.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ue0smhjc3iv94k/drumstest.wav?dl=0

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern C,

The last version is very cool! Sounds convincing with drums.
/You may try to add some Attack Time or/and Stroke Time humanization as well/

Would be great if you make a demo song for us. Please email me to supportbox@musiclab.com

Regards,
Sergey

Vern C

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed working on a song that I hope to send as a demo to you guys.

Here's a quick test I did using the bass portion of RealEight. I did some pre-equalizing to get the tone to where I wanted it and then sent it through my new Darkglass B7K. I then sent it to a bass cabinet in Kazrog's Recabinet 4.

In no way is it the final bass tone, though. I just wanted to run R8 through the B7K to see how it sounded.

https://copy.com/MjeIYOfLTBHPrxJg

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern C,

Thanks for sharing.
Bass part sounds great, would be interesting to listen to the whole mix
Waiting for the demo song from you!

Regards,
Sergey

Vern C

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just sent the e-mail Smile

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealEight All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1