MusicLab MIDI Out functionality details Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
curtisgraham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks GSPro, I read alot about the Metro platform and things sound pretty good, but still no midi out functionality for mac? I know that reaper loads VST instruments, but it crashes them everytime I try to use midi out... not too sure why... it must be a huge programming pain in the butt to make this work if none of them have followed up on it... kind of annoying considering how powerful logic for midi that it would not have this option... especially with products like this and some of the sugar-bytes step sequencers out there... it is a real shame to not be able to access the midi programming without delays and rewiring though seperate plugs, not to mention the instability of it all... let me know if this feature becomes available in metro and I might consider purchasing it at some point...

Curtis

gspro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Curtigraham,
Are you saying you're not able to use midi out from VST plugs either in Reaper?
I haven't gone that far with Reaper, but it's possible that the application does not support the VST midi out.

I have no problems with Metro at all. In Metro, I load RealGuitar VST (NOT AU) and it works like a charm. As I mentioned on the prior post, this will be available soon for the AU version of plugs in Metro, provided of course that MusicLab will also code/add to the AU version of RealGuitar.

I don't know if you have tried Metro yet, there is a demo available at sagantech.biz
One thing I can tell you is that Metro has never giving me any issues. The program just works and the developer is top notch.

Since we all work and use DAW in different ways and whatnot, you can post on the forum and ask if the app is able to do what you need it to do and you'll get a response from Jeremy within the hour.

BTW, I am in no way associated with sagantech, just a very satisfied user.
On the forum there, I use the same username as in this one.

curtisgraham

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I won't be switching from Logic just for this feature, unless they really blow me away, but I will check it out... I was trying to use vst, vsti and au in reaper and all make the program crash when using midi out functionality... was wondering if anyone has had success with midi out on a mac, and it sounds like you have... When I get a chance I will have to check out Metro... it is just so hard to change when you have been using one DAW for so long you don't want to have to relearn the little things again... I wish there was a easy fix for this with logic, but it would seem like that is far from coming... from what I have heard it is possible, but very difficult to implement from the 3rd party perspective and logic seems to have no intention of including vst support within logic, but I could be wrong... here is hoping I guess...

Curtis

gspro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, Curtigraham.
I know what you mean and I wasn't trying to get you to switch to another program. I was just describing/sharing my knowledge with Metro. I too, have Logic and also DigitalPerformer.

Just for the sake of it, I don't know if it will work. Have you tried Bidule? It hosts plugins outside of the DAW.
Here is a link but again, I'm not a computer programmer. I don't know the lingos. Maybe, it supports midi out?!?!

http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=56

Susan G

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtisgraham wrote:
well I won't be switching from Logic just for this feature, unless they really blow me away, but I will check it out... I was trying to use vst, vsti and au in reaper and all make the program crash when using midi out functionality... was wondering if anyone has had success with midi out on a mac, and it sounds like you have... When I get a chance I will have to check out Metro... it is just so hard to change when you have been using one DAW for so long you don't want to have to relearn the little things again... I wish there was a easy fix for this with logic, but it would seem like that is far from coming... from what I have heard it is possible, but very difficult to implement from the 3rd party perspective and logic seems to have no intention of including vst support within logic, but I could be wrong... here is hoping I guess...

Curtis

Hi Curtis-

Have you posted about this on the REAPER forum? The devs there are extremely responsive to user issues. Maybe another Mac user can comment there as well (MIDI Out works fine here, but I'm on Windows).

Good luck -- it's a pretty cool feature! Smile

-Susan

spoilthechild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Replace guitar sound & generate MIDI for notation in PT Reply with quote

Hi, all Smile

I was trying to find a way to replace my guitar part with another sound. For the alternative sound/patch, I thought of using my external sound module [there are still some nice-sounding patches there Smile]. However, though I searched the Music Lab forum, i couldn't find a tutorial like the ones listed here (in this thread) for, specifically, a Pro Tools LE 7.4 (on Mac Intel) set-up.

Also, aside from replacing the guitar part, I thought I'd ask, too, about generating a MIDI file for notation given my set-up. Smile

I knew this was the thread I needed to reply/post on since I did see the exciting (!) topmost post (restated below):

Quote:
Here are a few reasons you might want to take advantage of MusicLab's MIDI Output functionality:

1. To double the synth's sounds with another synth/sampler
2. To replace your guitar part with another sound altogether
3. To generate a MIDI file that's readable by your notation program

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Smile

Thanks, everyone!
Gino

BitFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people trying to get RG, RS or RLPC MIDI Out to work in Sonar, be aware that there are multi-year old bugs in Sonar that will affect this functionality:

* Sonar will crash if you have more than one VSTi set to send MIDI events out, and they happen to send those events out at the same time. It doesn't matter what combination of VSTis, it could be two instances of RG, one instance of RG + Jamstix, Catanya, Thesys, etc.

* If you have any VSTi that sends MIDI events out, more than likely those events will bleed into any other MIDI track you are recording to from an external device, like a keyboard.

Cakewalk doesn't believe these bugs are worth fixing, even though multiple people have run into these bugs, and in most cases there are no work-arounds. These bugs have already been officially reported to them 2 1/2 years ago.

Good luck...

SyQuEsT

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used this function (never really test in fact) but could it be possible to send midi out to an external slave computer with Sonar X1 ? At least, could it be possible to send strumming midi data into another sampler (banjo in my case) ?

Thanks !

gspro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Logic, Digital Performer users and others that use DAW that don't support VST.

I came across "Zen" you can visit the site at the following link:
http://www.bigtickaudio.com/zen/about-zen

The installer, installs the AU and VST version of Zen. If your DAW does not support VST, load Zen/AU, then RG/VST into Zen and you're in business.

Here was my question to the developer:

Does Zen support midi out?

I have RealGuitar from MusicLab AU/VST.
The VST plugin is the only one that outputs/converts to standard GM midi data but, Digital Performer, only supports MAS and AU plugins.

Would I be able to load RealGuitar VST into Zen and have it output to midi?

ANSWER:
"Load Zen/AU into Digital Performer. Zen sits between your host and RealGuitar, and transparently passes everything from one to the other. So if RealGuitar outputs midi out, Zen will pass it through."

Hope this helps the parties involved in this thread,

GSPro

LSMonline

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the free demo to test the functionality Reaper MIDI OUT, and it crashes every time ... others experienced this? I try very hard to know how this is useful, and so far I can not make it work on a Mac ... anyone out there had success?

spoilthechild

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are very helpful tips. thank you. i tried to figure the steps out for my set-up but was unable to. i am wondering if you would have a step-by-step procedure as well for this midi-out functionality for Pro Tools LE (Version 7.4)? Very Happy

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2