Control BridgeMute via MIDI?
View previous topic :: View next topic
JohnnyVirgil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Control BridgeMute via MIDI? Reply with quote

Hi forum.
I'd like to control the BridgeMute parameter via MIDI, for example via automation, to continuously set the amount of BridgeMute for the RealStrat track. How do I do this? BridgeMute is not in the MIDI implementation chart.

JohnnyVirgil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BridgeMute doesn't seem to be controllable via automation. Instead, according to Sergey, "you can simply assign the same FX with different settings to several key switches and use each when needed. E.g. assign Slide Down FX on 3-4 neighbour keys and set different step# and speed for each - you get various slide types in one Key Switch preset."

The simple and standardised way to do it would be to use automation, right? What's the reason for not implementing this? I don't understand much of Sergey's solution. A step-by-step instruction would be much appreciated. (I have searched but not found anything.)

pdubian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, long post coming.

It's kind of labor intensive and can use up a lot of the available key switches but it does work. Here's what I did:

In the RS interface, hit the KS button on the lower left to open the key switch panel.

The manual has instructions for setting the key switches so I'll just hit the main points. Use the drop down menu to set several of the key switches to Bridge Mute.

Set the slider for each of the Bridge Mute key switches you just created to a different position. For example, if you chose the D#1 key switch for the first Bridge Mute, set its slider all the way to the right. If you chose D1 for the next Bridge Mute key switch, set its slider somewhere to the left of the slider for the D#1 key switch. Use a method for setting the sliders that is logical to you. I don't think that there is an absolutely right or wrong way.

Keep setting the sliders to different positions for all the Bridge Mute key switches you created. Save the key switches as described in the manual and make sure you back the key switches up! I don't remember where the key switches are saved off hand, and you may be using a Windows machine anyway, but find out. Obviously the more key switches you use the more gradual will be the change in palm pressure because you can make smaller changes to each slider. On the other hand, you're using up the available key switches. It's a balancing act.

Now, think of the key switches that you just set up as replacement for automation values. When I asked Sergey about this very issue I was thinking of using MIDI CC to control the slider. You can't. The alternative to assigning a slider on my keyboard to, for example, MIDI CC 42 and recording CC 42 values into the sequencer to control the slider is to treat the key switches that I just set up as slider values. Based on the instructions above for setting up the key switches, if I want Bridge Mute with the slider all the way to the right I press D#1. If I then want to reduce the palm pressure a bit I release the D#1 key switch and press the D1 key switch. To continue varying the palm pressure you just keep selecting the various key switches, each of which has the palm mute pressure slider in a different position.

I find it easiest to record the actual guitar playing on one MIDI track in one recording pass, then create another MIDI track in my sequencer, rewind, and record the key switch changes in the second MIDI track. I find it easier to play and easier to see everything that's happening in the sequencer if I give each effect assigned to a key switch a different MIDI track. It also helps with editing. If I decide that I don't want that slide key switch I put in I don't have to search through all the MIDI data for the guitar part. I just look at the Slide effect MIDI track and delete the note for the slide effect key switch that I want to get rid of.

Hope that helps. Note that you can do this for any effect with a slider. Sergey referred to slide in his instructions, and I hope that what I described above for bridge mute is what he meant. If anyone knows of an easier way let us all know.

JohnnyVirgil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's what I call an answer. Many thanks, pdubian. I'll give it a go.

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealStrat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1