features reuqest
View previous topic :: View next topic
deesto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: features reuqest Reply with quote

To be honest this is such an impressive product and engine that it is already very hard to ask for more!!! Especially i found it real hard to find out something to be added for myself.

But yeah, something can always be improved, especially after reading the review by Kevin Rossiter (www.traxmusic.org).

- Chunka chunka
- Own chord inversions (although perhaps this can be achieved in the solo mode?)
- In bass &pick the posibility to omit the bass note being played at the change of every chord. So i could just play the plucked part and add the bass root only if i want to.
- In all the versions of chords the posibility to play open natural strings (EADGBE) at the release of the chord notes, so i'm not stuck to playing picked Gm notes for ever and ever until i change chords for example. Although again i may be able to get by it using a combo of two plugs one in chord mode the other in solo mode?

Otherwise it is hard to fool my guitar friend that i have played Tarrega or 'La Alambra' by myself on a real guitar Smile

- More sound bank samples, (e.g. a better more realisitic nylon sample bank) which i believe they are due for release sooner than later.
- Metal slide sounding effects/pitch bend
- Harmonics in the chords section
- More open muted soundsm so i can tell what note tune it is I'm muting Wink
- We have slides, bends, harmonics, mono, alt bass, and a long etc already but what about Pulled fret string sounds (so that the note does not sound like it is ever plugged again, just the sound of the action of a finger presing hard on a fret would do, like for solos)
- The ability to increase/decrease the stereo width of the sounds with a rotatory a knob (just like you do with Virtual Guitarist)
- The ability to have doubling guitars? Although maybe you can do without it just by using a combination of 2 midi tracks/2 plugins inserted?
- A MAC Audio Unit plugin version. OR one that will work as a VST spot on in conjunction with FXpansion VST-AU adapter/wraper
-Being able to specify # strings from top-bottom or combinations of that (e.g. 3-4-5 or 6-1-2 for example) automatically
- Although not truly necessary with today's keyboards able to do this for you... for added realism and visual stunning perhaps the posibility of adding the transpose bar tool (i can't remember it's name but it clips across all strings along a fret of your choice, thus altering the coloration of the sound).

And, like other users, i also concurr about the addition of open tuning for each string.

But having said all this i almost feel like i have been given the earth and now i'm asking for the moon. So i'd rather have a working plug in for example than suddenly have a very problematic version with all these features implemented. Yet it would be nice to see all these features added in 1-2 years time for a low cost or none. As to the new bank sampes i would charge for them, but very little. Maybe 10-20 dollars tops. Less is more. So if i was to pay 50 dollars i may buy only 1 bank in a year. Rather than spending 70-80 bucks for a range of 4-5 banks.

kevvvvv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesto
Quote:
But having said all this i almost feel like i have been given the earth and now i'm asking for the moon.

Don't we all Wink

The future can't be that hard to figure. RG is now MusicLab's flagship product.

Potential competitors with good sample sets already in the bag will no doubt be working on a midi engine to front their sounds, even as we speak.

ML know this, and doubtless are equally keen to stay ahead in the race.

My feeling is that RG is there FIRST, and being first is priceless.

ML now have only to keep the lead.

So maybe the moon won't be so much to ask for, after all Wink

deesto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevvv!!

nice to see you here online pal! We don't know each other if you were wondering... Wink but i've seen your other posts. Absolutely amazing sound strong posts out there. Great stuff! That's he way, aha, aha, i like it Razz ... that's the way... Wink

Could you mention and/or comment about the features request i have just posted? What do you think? Do they make sense? Will someone else be able to understand them as well? Is it too much to ask you reckon?

deesto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing i found the following list. I copied it of the vienna symphonic library 'concert guitars' product website. I guess this sums up very well what it is that is missing in real guitar in terms of articulations - in proper music and technical language; rather than in my own words. i took the liberty to chop off the list the articulations i felt were already implemented in RG. Hear that Bach music example they give in Vienna... wouldn't it be wonderfull if you could guys incorporate all these eventually in RG BUT to all guitar sound banks? Who would then go out and buy gigastudio for guitars then? Why would anyone spend over 200 pounds for just ONE great classical guitar samplebank (excluding the price of gigastudio!) when you could spend 100-170 dollars for 5-6 of the same quality but with a better easy playing performance engine as we already have? Wink You would make an amazing profit making business, i tell you - with loads of users wanting amazing guitars diving for this product rather than just a few.

Articulations:

-Staccato notes
-Étouffé
-Sul ponticello, flautando
-Bartók
-Natural and artificial harmonics
-Hammer-ons, pull-offs for creating embellishments
-Tremolos
-Half and whole tone trills
-Slides (glissandos) up to an octave (up and down)
-Repetitions (8 notes) in various tempos
-All chords open and muted, played as arpeggios, struck, pulled, -rasgueado (flamenco style)
-Chords played as continuous rasgueado
-Effects like golpe, scratches and others

Extra feature requests (as inspired by what BFD offers with it's drum samples):

- More different samples to be triggered for different velocities
- Mic positioning variation closer-further away + L&R panning on each mic for interesting effects.
- x1 - x4 Mics (including concert stage or room mics) that one would be able to mix and/or blend together at wish or output these individually.
- a few easily accesible ready made 1000-2000 Midi Loops/Paterns

From the 'features request Part II' thread:

-Initial Up strum on chords mode. At the moment you can go always start with the Down strum, but you cannot start with an up strum on a chord? E.g. Possible: Down-up-up-up or Down-up-Down etc. but not Posssible: Up-Down-Down, Up-Down-Up Down, etc.

Again, of course i know i'm asking for something which is a crazy LOT for a version 1 of the product... but hey, we may as well start posting what's going to make this product a 'perfect' eventually.

I'm also in the hopes that a part of the money i and other users have spent in buying realguitar will be able to go towards these developments Wink and towards achieving something better than to the existing gigastudio 3 which costs and arm and a leg at the moment.

Of course, bugs and other programming issues will have to be resolved first.

Yet, as i revise the list of articulations and mic positionings i'm also realising that all this may not be such a huge mountain to climb, that we maybe very very close to matching and superseeding gigastudio. Wouldn't it just be a matter/question of adding the extra missing samples to encompass all these articulations to be streamed off the hard disk in real time as audio? Idea And to add a slightly more complex mixer for all these differently mic'ed sounds? after all, RG is already a multi-channel sound layering engine.

To be honest, as far as the acoustic versions go, i can't honestly think for myself of anything else that would need to be implemented in RG. Well, there are more stuff from other users here of course. I must try and gather all these into one common thread So it is easy to find for the developers and Sergey. Presumably into this frum thread, we'll see.

Thinking about all this i would much rather wait a little longer for the electric soundbanks but have all these articulations and the features posted (above) available to me in a straight forward way in such as what we are already seeing with bends and 1-3 step slides. Perhaps it then maybe easier to use this knowledge and implement it to make it use with the rest of the soundbanks rather than waste double effort having to apply these to the new banks later on? Just a posing thought...

...Like kevvvv says. Maybe you guys are the first in implementing such an easy engine/way to play a guitar (like you do in the real instrument) in a virtual instrument on the keyboard (at least i really don't know of better)... i see BFD in parallel to RealGuitar in how it let's you manipulate/play what it has in it's own large ibrary (x2 DVDs) of drum samples. But i can't see that many manufacturers doing this for guitars yet. Virtual guitarist isn't surely getting there yet, gigastudio is still not there unless we have 4-5 new vienna symphonic samples for different guitars... then again how easy is it to use gigastudio... (I'm not sure, i have never used it, so i take it it is not from other user's comments)? And the price tag that would be for acquiring a GigStudio and a 1-2 samplebanks - horrendous!

Are there any more fair/unfair comparisons? Hard to see for me... at least at this late in the morning with half a brain fried or more, on a friday night Razz

Ciau!

Landphil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there are so few of us here, I'll throw in a couple . . .

1) The number of strings to be played in chord mode, have an option to toggle between subtracting the highest note or the lowest note. As it is now, changing the number of strings always subtracts the lowest note. (Sergey did make note of this on another board)

2) Another "zone" layout to where the keyboard is split to accomodate chord mode with the right hand (upper), with right hand chord detection, while having a lower zone for determinating the bass note to be played with that chord, like a Dmaj with an F# or A bass note.

3) I've got to admit, some palm mutes would be nice. . . fast decay with enough tone left to play some lazy-hand rhythms, like the old blues masters from the 30's and 40's. This would probably mean either more samples or some clever low pass filtering on the existing samples.

I'm sure that ML's working on more soundsets, especially after the praise recieved for the 290MB Steel Stereo. Beautiful sound! But you've got to remember that adding additional samples in to the sets to achieve the "end all" of guitar emulations will soon bloat them to Giga size and beyond. One of the things I enjoy about RG is how much they achieved with so little (290 Megs isn't that much by todays standards). Start loading GIG size sets, or larger, and your going to need a hell of a lot of RAM, or they'll have to impliment disk streaming into their engine. I'm not a huge fan of disk streaming, at least at it's current state.

A lot of questions and requests have been made about hammer-ons and pull-offs. . . . see the "Where are the user demos" thread.

More to say later, but it's now 1:00 AM, and the alarm at 5:15 waits for no one! Not to mention, there's one hell of a lightning storm passing over. . .I'm suprised I posted this far without a power glitch! Shocked

Phil

deesto

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landphil. Lovely post m8 Smile. Yup, indeed m8, this forum is a desert with just a few of us camels Very Happy.

I fully agree with what you are saying about having beautiful sound with little MB. But i think they can achieve all these extra features and articulations and still distribute/deliver this as a small compressed package. RE: the disk streaming it is so far the industry standard for professional film scoring and gigasamplers. It seems to work beautifully and proficiently. So I'm not entirely sure where is it that this method may go wrong? you maybe seeing something i may have overlooked at. By streaming audio from the hard disk (or creating a huge virtual temporary ram disk in your HDD) it could resolve the problem of having to upgrade the RAM?

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deesto,

You are not alone here. I thoroughly read all the posts about RG feature requests. Thanks for interesting suggestions. That's very useful for us to have the long users' wishlist for the future developement.

Landphil,

A wonderfull demo song with HOs emulating using Pitch Bender. Thanks a lot for both demos and suggestions. You really got a lot of RealGuitar's tricks and I greatly appreciate you sharing them with the others.

Regards,
Sergey

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1