Loving RG, but why no automation?
View previous topic :: View next topic
Koolkeys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Loving RG, but why no automation? Reply with quote

I've been working with RG quite a bit now(at least for one day's time) and I'm VERY impressed. It was worth the wait to me for something this good. I plan on writing a review for my website really soon. But I have a couple suggestions.

First of all, I don't see a way of automating things. This would be nice to be able to do. I would like to swith playing modes during a song, or alter the amount of tremolo, or the strum speed, or whatever. And since I can't do ALL this on the same take, automation would be a killer feature for this. It would allow a TON of flexibility. PLEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEE consider this, or point me to what I'm doing wrong, or a workaround.

This is a great tool, and will appear in many of my songs, but I really want to see this happen. Thanks! Cheers!

Koolkeys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here :
features are great and RG was really worth to wait for.
But IMO it will be really completed only when the user can change (maybe not every, but at least the most critical) settings in real time via midi controlers.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koolkeys,

Certainly we'll incorporate Automation control in the future update.

Regards,
Sergey

Viese

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this could be used as a workaround but for now its all I got.

I use Cubase SX2 with a 3.0 ghz and 1 gb ram computer.

I managed to open 3 instances of RG before Cubase started to page to the virtual memory on the harddrive when I added a 4. RG.

3 intances of RG used around 300 mb memory and it should be possible to use that without much (if any) slowdown on your system.

Another way would be to record the different RGs as audio files and use automation (to some extend) on those instead.

Maybe you could use the new freeze function in Cubase SX to free some resources and get even more tracks of RG running at the same time.

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viese,

You are right with the workaround.

Tell you more: if you load the same guitar patch to several instances of RealGuitar that would not use additional memory (only for the one patch). So you can use multiple RG instances with the same guitar sound for a song.

Regards,
Sergey

JohnR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:

If you load the same guitar patch to several instances of RealGuitar that would not use additional memory (only for the one patch). So you can use multiple RG instances with the same guitar sound for a song.

That's very useful to know. It means I can effectively switch playing modes without taking up lots of extra memory. Just have mutually exclusive tracks per playing mode.

It also means that two guitars can be emulated (with different EQ/effects) to make it sound like two players, using not much more memory.

Koolkeys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the note on the automation being added. This makes me even more excited about RG! And the tip about loading more than one instance but only using the same memory, that's awesome!

Thanks again!

Koolkeys

Arys Chien

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey_MusicLab wrote:
Tell you more: if you load the same guitar patch to several instances of RealGuitar that would not use additional memory (only for the one patch). So you can use multiple RG instances with the same guitar sound for a song.

Does it mean that if I have like 5 instances of RG, all loading the same patch, say Steel Guitar Fingered, it would just cost the momery of 1 instance? That's great! I can just send the 5 outputs to one group channel.
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Viese

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does mean just that.

I just loaded 7 instances of RG with the same patch and the last 6 of them only took additional 4 mb of ram each.

Arys Chien

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Viese! Now I know what I'll do tomorrow morning.
Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, automation is an absolute must for a tool like this. In fact, I think that the different modes should be able to be switched from keys on the (music) keyboard. RG is a great tool, but frankly I am amazed it was released without automation. I was really disappointed to find it's not there.

Tombo

kevvvvv

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergey
Quote:
Certainly we'll incorporate Automation control in the future update.

Any time frame on this?

My reason for asking is that it would be great to change strum velo time to adjust for sharp strums or mellow ripples in the middle of a bar.

And it would be nice to change capo or inversion midsong, or even mid bar.

Don't take this as a complaint of any sort. RG is brilliant. I'm just eager "to play better" Very Happy

thanx = kev

Sergey_MusicLab

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevvvvv,

First, thanks for a demo sample you've posted on kvr-vst forum (and good words about the RealGuitar).
Hope our users will share our pleasure to hear it:
http://www.rossiterandco.com/files/satriani.mp3

Second, I'm glad that you evaluate our concept of acoustic guitar sound generating realized in RG. We worked hard to come as close as possible to the real thing.

Third, the RealGuitar update adding full automation of all parameters is ready and will be released in 2-3 days.

Regards,
Sergey

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent news Cool

thank you

koolkeys

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm impressed! 2-3 days, huh? I can't wait, really. Automation will bring a new level of performance to an already brilliant tool! Thanks for the best guitar product around. Now if we could only get those E-guitar samples?!?!?!?!

Cheers!

Koolkeys

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » RealGuitar All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1