What kind of latency can I expect?
View previous topic :: View next topic
osharan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: What kind of latency can I expect? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I was just curious as to what kind of latency to expect if I use midi over lan. My host computer is 1.9ghz and the server which I will be building will probably be 2.0ghz .The reason why I ask is because I will be setting it up with gigastudio 3.0. My sequencer is cubase sx2.0 and I am using a delta 1010 soundcard. Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osharan ,

I have been using MOLCP ver 2.0 with gigastudio 3.04 on a dedicated PC for a few months now. I also have Logic 7 pro on a Mac G5 as host sequencer with MOLCP ver 2.0 as well.
After some latency tests compared to a hardware midi interface and ethernet midi , I can't really "feel" a difference while I play . I think that Midioverlan is not the weakest link in the latency chain. It still the audio card buffer settings that is the main issue for me.
I have an RME digi 9652 audio card on the giga PC with GSIF-2 drivers and a buffer setting at 64 samples which is the lowest setting available.
I am sending the audio from the gigaPC to the mac via ADAT optical to a M-audio firewire 1814 on the mac and monitor through the control panel of the M-audio card and NOT through the Logic mixer because that adds more latency to the signal.
I only enable the Logic monitoring when I record the Giga tracks to Logic and I offset the miditracks to compensate for the added latency so all the tracks are aligned proprely.

hope this hepls!

Yves

Post new topic    Reply to topic    MusicLab Forum Index » MIDIoverLAN CP All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1